"Stop leak" for front differential seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I have a 99 Blazer with 190,000 miles. Still runs great. I've pulled good maintenance on it since I've owned it (since 2000). Anyways, the front differential has developed a leak. I don't know if it leaks completely out or not, but I'll fill it up, and then have a fairly descent puddle underneath for the next several days. It doesn't make any sounds, grinding, howling, etc. It still works great when I put it in 4wd. (I take it out on a gravel road once a month, and shift from 2 to 4wd, and Low range 4wd, just to keep things freed up). Anyways, my mechanic says it is an entailed project to tear into it and repair it. Don't really want to spend the money if I can help it. And it's probably not a task I want to tackle. Does anyone have any experience with these differentials? How hard is it to repair? And lastly, is there a good "stop leak" that I can use? One that anyone has had any luck with? Thank you all.

The only stop leak ideas I can think of are replacing the seal, or, using heavier oil. If you can obtain 85W140 it will leak more slowly than lighter gear oils.
The diff pinion seal should be easy to replace. I've done them in less than an hour. Usually, one removes the drive shaft, remove the nut holding the U-joint coupler on, remove the coupler itself, pry the old seal off with a screwdriver or pry bar, carefully tap new one in with appropriately sized large socket (needs to be selected carefully, has to clear tip of pinion shaft) , put everything together, refill with gear oil if needed.

Charlie

I'll try the heavier oil. eventually, I'll end up making repairs. I just was wondering if there was an additive that anyone has had any luck with for differential seal leaks. Thanks.

You can check with AAP or AZ and see if there is a 'stop leak' for gear oil. I've seen some with a 'google' search.

'gear oil stop leak' got a bunch of links.

Seals wear. After 190K your seal is likely consumed. The primary sealing lip of the seal is likely very wide about now. I don't think a "mechanic in a can" will fix this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back