Magnetic drain plugs a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my drain plug on my 2001 jeep wrangler 4.0L is getting a little nasty where it seals and Im going to replace it.

Is getting a Magnetic drain plug a good idea? Just as a easy way to see if everything is healthy or not (bits of built up metal on magnet being a warning for something wrong)

or is having a magnet in your oil bad?
Anyone have a good brand they like? i see some sold on ebay for 10 bucks

I dont see what could be bad about the magnet, I dont believe it affects the oil just gets metal shavings built up on it. Get any drain plug you want as long as its a good grade and comes with a nice gasket then your good.

It's not a BAD idea as I don't see how it hurts any.

I have one on my cars and there is usually just a little bit of junk attached to it. If anything, it gives me a visual every time I change the oil on any (increase in) metal floating around.

It probably does skew the Fe reports of UOAs. Just an FYI.
I've used one in my diesel for nine years. At first, the filings were large and noticeable, now it's barely a smear on the cleaning cloth.

Good idea. Whatever attaches to the magnet doesn't become an abrasive material in the oil.

It always catches something... Whether what it catches on an individual basis Is a big enough particle size to do anything is another story...

But it still catches junk.

Originally Posted By: JRed
Good idea. Whatever attaches to the magnet doesn't become an abrasive material in the oil.

I don't see how it would make a difference, as the oil filter would still catch those same particles.

I ordered one, for only a few bucks more why not.
they were 10 bucks shipped and OTD

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO....a magnet is a good idea. However, I opt for the magnet on my oil filter to hold any Iron or Steel in the canister.

I opt for BOTH!

But, I remember a post on here about the very powerful neodymium Filter Mags supposedly causing some kind of problems with sensors/engine mgt. systems, or something of the like (don't know if that is a real, or imagined problem?).
I still use mine, but I turn it on the filter away from the closest sensors.
wink.gif

Many transmissions already include magnets. I used to run them on my Hondas and they were ALWAYS covered with some metal shavings when I changed the oil.

Anything that keeps metal out of the oil is a plus IMO. Next OC I will be putting one in my Jeep.

My Chevy and Acura didn't come with mag drain plugs (as I can recall..)
So I just improvised on the old plug by adding a rare earth magnet to the plug. I added the cylinder/rod type 1/4" OD X 1/2" length ,as opposed to the button type. The rod style catches quite bit more shtuff...
I worked well for me for 10 years+.
J

Originally Posted By: Patman

I don't see how it would make a difference, as the oil filter would still catch those same particles.

Unless it's a particle too small to be caught by the oil filter. If the oil filter caught everything there'd be no particles on the magnet at all.

Standard equipment on our GM trucks. Must do sumpin'.

Most I ever get off of it is a smear of very fine particles. I would think it may help protect the oil pump and its pressure regulator from small particles at startup. Once in operation it's all up to your oil filter.

Unless it's a particle too small to be caught by the oil filter. If the oil filter caught everything there'd be no particles on the magnet at all.

But maybe it would have caught that particle on the next pass through the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back