Eneos Motor Oil Compaired To Other Synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Eneos synthetic motor oil have any qualities not provided by other synthetic oils?
I've been using Red Line 5-40w and after a friend recommended Eneos, I tried it but really can't find any benefits to it not provided by Red Line.
I don't think that Eneos is an extended drain interval oil like Red Line.
So what benefits/qualities does Eneos have that Red Line and others don't?

Red Line isn't marketed as extended drain oil either.

What benefits are you looking for exactly?

You'll be hard pressed to find any noticeable difference between any of the synthetic oils out there.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Red Line isn't marketed as extended drain oil either.

What benefits are you looking for exactly?

You'll be hard pressed to find any noticeable difference between any of the synthetic oils out there.

http://www.redlineoil.com/techinfo_faq.aspx

Q: How often should I change my Red Line oil?

It depends on how you drive. If you do a lot of city driving or low speed/low frequency driving, we recommend oil changes at 7500 miles. Vehicles that see more highway driving can go a maximum of 15,000 to 18,000 miles with an oil filter change in between. Modern filter technology and the latest, clean-burning fuels have reduced the solids that contaminate oil, so frequent filter changes aren't usually necessary.

I think RedLine is way overkill for 99% of applications. That being said, they would be hard to beat.

"What benefits are you looking for exactly?" is the obvious question. Without an application who knows.

Firstly, ENEOS 5W-40 (HTHS 3.96cP) is a much lighter oil than RL 5W-40 (HTHS 4.6cP). That's why RL usually suggests dropping a grade when switching to RL.
So RL's VI free 5W-30 (HTHS 3.8cP) would be a better choice plus you get a boatload of moly or RL 0W-40 (HTHS 4.0cP).

Well, I'm looking for maximum engine protection along with extended drain intervals....at about 10k miles with a filter change at 3k or 5k mile intervals.
Don't think that Eneos markets itself as an extended drain interval oil...so whaddya think, can Eneos safely go 10k miles?

Originally Posted By: helios
Well, I'm looking for maximum engine protection along with extended drain intervals....at about 10k miles with a filter change at 3k or 5k mile intervals.
Don't think that Eneos markets itself as an extended drain interval oil...so whaddya think, can Eneos safely go 10k miles?

What car, and what are your driving habits? What does your owner's manual suggest for oil change intervals?

Also, 3K or 5K oil filter changes are unnecessary. In the Honda Accord we used to have, it recommended 7.5K oil changes and a filter every other oil change!

The car is a Subaru(non turbo). Driven 50% in city and 50% highway. Subaru used to say 15k miles between oil changes. Now, it's at 7.5k miles. And on dino oil too. LOL, 15k miles on dino oil? Say goodbye to engine longevity.

Specs call for 5-30w....5-40w gives me a tad more protection.
My Subaru is over 10 years old....well past its warranty.

That's an oil myth that thicker oil provides more "protection".
For the way you use your car I would definitely stick with a 5W-30 grade, as it will provide superior overall lubrication to the rather heavy 5W-40 ENEOS.
If you want to use ENEOS, I do like their 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
For the way you use your car I would definitely stick with a 5W-30 grade, as it will provide superior overall lubrication to the rather heavy 5W-40 ENEOS.

+1

Or M1 0w-30.

Originally Posted By: helios

It seems many are afraid of the 10K OCI. For most engines 10K OCIs aren't a problem. I've been doing that since 1978 in all kinds of engines under all kinds on conditions. All with M1 oils with no filter changes during the OCI. My engines have stayed very clean and lasted as long as the car itself. As for Enos, If it won't protect your engine for 10K ( in most cases) then dump the stuff and go to plan "B".

Last edited:
Eneos is a fine oil, I would use it with confidence. I will say, since you are already using RL, I see no reason to change over. If you change your oil every 7500 miles buy the cheaper one. I know Eneos goes on sale every once and a while.

I've been using full synthetic oil since my Subaru's engine was broken in at about 6k miles.
I've gone back and forth between using 5-30w and 5-40w.
I've noticed no performance/gas mileage differences between the two.
My thought is that when an engine is well passed 100k miles, a 5-40w oil will compensate for any engine wear.
Anyway, a 5-40w oil is not really all that much more viscous than a 5-30w one, right?
So far, my Sube is running extremely well; I'm experiencing NO drop offs in gas mileage or power.
I normally keep my cars for well over 200k miles.

RL 5W-40 is heavier than most 50wt oils.
It about 50% heavier than a typical 5W-30 and that's a lot.
You may not notice it in your mild climate but this is way heavier than you need to use.
If you like RL I'd suggest their 0W-30. It's still heavier than most other brand 5W-30 oils including ENEOS and will be dramatically lighter on start-up than the RL 5W-40.

If you like RL I'd suggest their 0W-30. It's still heavier than most other brand 5W-30 oils including ENEOS and will be dramatically lighter on start-up than the RL 5W-40.

Or, at the absolute heaviest, the RL 0W-40 for the summertime OCI (and yes, CATERHAM will say that even this is waaayyy too heavy, and he is correct, but if you insist on a 40 weight RL, this is the one to use
wink.gif
).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back