Dollar store oil nearly scared me to death...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cp3
Hmmm....Nice VI of 50 and a 40cSt of 134! What more could one want?

Actually if the KV40 and KV100 spec's are correct the VI is 61 the lowest I've ever seen even among classic single grade motor oils.
Regardless it's an archaic motor oil that should NEVER be used.

I just saw a guy buy some city star for an oil change....
33.gif

what makes it worse, is these SA oils are priced right up there with current spec oils-if it were priced at .49/qt maybe someone could rationalize using it

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
I miss the days when Dollartree carried TropArtic.

I'd go and clean them out if they had any right now.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I just saw a guy buy some city star for an oil change....
33.gif

Probably o go with their Fram oil filter...
eek.gif

Are we talking a "Dollar Tree" store? Dollar General? or Family Dollar? Never seen oil at Dollar Tree.....BUT they do have DOT 3 brake fluid, as well as Power Steering Fluid, for......? A buck :p

WM wants 1.58 for even their "Super Tech" brand.....I picked up a bottle of the P/S fluid just for "kicks" - it's called "SMB Power Steering Fluid" SMB apparantly stands for Superior Motoring Benefits
wink.gif
Helps prevent squeals, rust, and corrosion. Contains Petroleum Distillates CAS 64742-65-0. Turns out they sell it by the case at Dollartree.com too lol, UPC 861007460514.

I wouldn't doubt it if "SMB" is just another one of "Dollar Trees" spin off brands, distributed by "Greenbrier International"
smile.gif

The SMB Octane Boost ain't bad though!

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Anyone know who makes the american xt? I thought i remembered the wpp logo on the bottom, not sure though. I used their trans fluid in all kinds of vehicles while in high school.

Currently, it's made by Warren Labs for Dollar General stores. Supposedly it meets current standards, but not sure how long it would last in use.

There's an "alert" issued on a City Star oil - check out that Petroleum quality institute thing-a-ma-jig website.

Someone referred to it as bacon grease, but I can hardly picture that as bacon grease can not be shaken!

Originally Posted By: Silver
There's an "alert" issued on a City Star oil - check out that Petroleum quality institute thing-a-ma-jig website...

Yep. Here: http://www.pqiamerica.com/citystar.htm

the 5W-30 had a 100C viscosity of 2.38 cSt. That's like, ridiculous...Should be around 10.
No anti-wear additives, either, being an SA.

There's an "alert" issued on a City Star oil - check out that Petroleum quality institute thing-a-ma-jig website.

Someone referred to it as bacon grease, but I can hardly picture that as bacon grease can not be shaken!

Bad stuff!

Quote:

Purchased in: Shamsan Food Mart, 1501 Broadway, Gary, IN

Date of purchase: July 14, 2011

Great store name! I gotta remember to shop there (big strip mall at 15th and Broadway; shouldn't be too hard to remember where it is).

Sad thing is you know there are people out there that think they are smarter than everyone else because they buy that oil for a dollar and change the oil in their cars at 25k intervals and love it. Probably with the OCOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back