Gear Oil Shelf Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks,

I bought a case (12 quarts) of Motorcraft 80W90 dino gear oil yesterday for my truck. I stocked up, because this particular gear oil performs extremely well in my rear differential.

I am wondering how long this oil can sit on my shelf without issue. I only drive about 7500 miles per year and I have enough oil now for three oil changes. So, you can see how long I might have it for...

These unopened bottles will be stored in-doors in a climate controlled room. Thanks for your feedback.

Several years, or more. Most oil companies will tell you there is no shelf life, while others will simply "suggest" using it within 3-5 years.

Under the right conditions.....IMO a conventional gear oil should last for decades. Synthetic Gear Oil.....indefinitely.

Your a Smart man to get a stash started since I've already noticed the rise in the price of Mobil 1, Gear Oil and ATF.

I currently have 15 quarts of Mobil 1, Full synthetic, ATF stashed for my PS and Transmission and 6 quarts of Mobil 1, Full Synthetic, 75W-90 and 1 quart of 75W-140 stashed for the Front, Rear Differentials and Transfer Case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mongo161
Under the right conditions.....IMO a conventional gear oil should last for decades. Synthetic Gear Oil.....indefinitely.

Your a Smart man to get a stash started since I've already noticed the rise in the price of Mobil 1, Gear Oil and ATF.

I currently have 15 quarts of Mobil 1, Full synthetic, ATF stashed for my PS and Transmission and 6 quarts of Mobil 1, Full Synthetic, 75W-90 and 1 quart of 75W-140 stashed for the Front, Rear Differentials and Transfer Case.

Very understandable. But, don't you think in 2, 3, 5, years, they will make the oil "better"?

Its very possible that they may make the oil better, However the cost of producing synthetic ATF and Gear Oil could be a lot higher....hence.....the retail price might be higher.

Oils and Fluids do get better.....but will the cost justify the quality?

Thanks for all of the feedback. It sounds like I can store my gear oil on the shelf for a considerable amount of time without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back