Victory Vision and 5w 40 rotella

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does the manufacturer recommend? Is this a shared sump design with the engine and trans lube oil together or separate? Is this a wet clutch design as well?

bmwtechguy,
The recommended oil is Victory semi syn.15w40 oil or jaso-ma oil.
The 106 vic is a shared oil design wet clutch and air cooled v twin.

It is going to shear slightly, probably. I would run Rotella 15w40 during the warmer months and thee 5w40 during the cooler months. You weather is surely similar to mine.

Thanks for the reply,are you talking about shear that could cause wear on my motor or my gears?

I am by no means an expert nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I would run it for 2,000 miles and send a sample to be analyzed and see what the shared sump has done to viscosity. If/when it shears, it will be a 30wt. There are plenty of Rotella 5w40 UOA posts in the motorcycle UOA section showing that it sheared down a bit but still was protecting the engine. You will not know what is going on without an analysis to show you.

Another possibility is that you will not like the way it runs/shifts with the 5w40 in there.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2212753#Post2212753

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2105686#Post2105686

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1738135&page=1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1524168&page=1

With the 5w-40 oil the motor runs out better. The shifting is a little more harsh. The mileage is going up some with the clutch action being more of a solid clutch. The main thing I care about is protection of the motor and trans.

I would consider a full syn 10W-40 motorcycle-specific oil such as Amsoil or Mobil 1. My favorite is the Amsoil. Either one is not too hard to find. These oils are made specifically for shared sump and wet clutch design. Will a diesel-rated oil work acceptably and save you some money? Perhaps. I would try what you want to and see how it does. When shifting degrades, in my experience, the oil has seen better days.

Shell Rotella T6 is JASO MA rated as well, so you can also say it's designed for shared sumps and wet clutches. Just because the bottle doesn't have a motorcycle on the front or cost $12 per quart doesn't make it any less of a lubricant.

The 09 visions have 2500 mile oil change times with semi syn. oil. I switched to mobil 1 and ran it for 3500 to 4000 miles. getting tired of $60.00 oil changes I need a good oil at a fair price. with 24000 on bike I tried rotella.

I've run Rotella in just about everything.

There are plenty of threads on this forum that will show that Rotella is an excellent oil for use in motorcycles, shared sump and not.

The Vision is a beautiful bike, as are all of the Victorys. A friend of mine just bought a 2011 Cross Country. Very nice.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
When shifting degrades, in my experience, the oil has seen better days.

perfect. plus 1

The vision is a nice bike with good wind protection some storage and with stage one level two mods it is fun to ride and has room for two up riding.

Tim H,

It's the transmission shifter.*shrugs* At about 2500 miles, neutral becomes difficult to "find". Also, the lifters clickity clack gets pretty loud by this mileage too. Victory recommends 20w-40 semi syn. claiming it contains a coolant to help regulate engine temp. Odd that their oil is not jaso ma, api or sae certified. However, At $60.00 their oil kit gets you 6 quarts of oil, 1 oil filter and a copper gasket. I own a 2009 Kingpin & I have only used their oil (18k miles) and will post the UOA. If I could find Rotella 15w-40 semi syn, I'd try it. All 2011 Victory models have a new transmission shifter cam that allow 5000 mile oil changes. I use Rotella 15w-40 in my Honda Shadow and it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back