06 Cummins 5.9L Rotella 5W-40 7900miles dyno/race

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil interval was hard on the truck, I did 4 dyno pulls, yielding 414/805 rear wheel HP/TQ (about 500hp at the motor), a few truck pulls and 2 1/4 mile passes. Also pulled a snowmobile trailer around VT last winter.

2006 Cummins Dodge Ram 2500 using a Donaldson Endurance oil filter and Baldwin 2 micron fuel filter. Oil was in the truck about 20 months.
6btreport.jpg

Last edited:
Only 500hp out of a Cummins B? That's just barely past the top ratings of their Marine B's. Nothing to worry about there. Just make sure you have enough air to go with the fuel you're injecting.

I'm in Florence, near Northampton.
A_Harman, where can I read up on these marine units? Were they using a turbo larger than the HX-35 that comes on mine or just additional fueling? I thought the 325hp "fire truck" engine was the top commercial rating on these, and of course the 325hp in the dodge pickups.

At 500hp, there is not much smoke at WOT so I don't think I'm overfueling. Here's a video of the dyno pull

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxEKn1s3zW0

I'm more afraid for the tranny at the moment, I'm gonna have to save up for a Goerend unit if I'm to keep using the power!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smonska
I'm in Florence, near Northampton.
A_Harman, where can I read up on these marine units? Were they using a turbo larger than the HX-35 that comes on mine or just additional fueling? I thought the 325hp "fire truck" engine was the top commercial rating on these, and of course the 325hp in the dodge pickups.

No way, I actually went white water rafting not too far away from there a few weeks ago.

Sometimes the high performance marine engines make more power. But they also have coolant to sea water heat exchangers in some cases.

http://www.cmdmarine.com/engines/commercial/inboards/QUANTUM/qsb-59.html

The top end QSB makes 475bhp, but has a thicker head gasket IIRC and seawater coolers.

Yeah the turbos are different than the HE351s you have in the truck, are you running the stock lift pump? A bigger LP will help keep the CP3 happy.

Last edited:
Oh that's right right, it is a HE351 turbo. Do you know what turbo the QSB 480hp motors use? I've heard the compressor on the HX40 is the same as an HE351, so not a real upgrade though I'm no expert. I'd be curious to pick up a QSB 480 turbo cheap if I could find one and they're better.

I'm not actually running that much fuel, no MP8 or pressure box, stock injectors, just a tune in the computer (BD triple dog), which is why the dyno numbers that high surprised me.

Stock CP3 and in-tank lift pump. I've helped the breathing quite a bit though, new intake manifold and CAI, and 4" turbo-back Hushpower exhaust.

Iron is pretty high for the miles. But since you run the [censored] out of this engine I guess that explains why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: smonska
Oh that's right right, it is a HE351 turbo. Do you know what turbo the QSB 480hp motors use? I've heard the compressor on the HX40 is the same as an HE351, so not a real upgrade though I'm no expert. I'd be curious to pick up a QSB 480 turbo cheap if I could find one and they're better.

I'm not actually running that much fuel, no MP8 or pressure box, stock injectors, just a tune in the computer (BD triple dog), which is why the dyno numbers that high surprised me.

Stock CP3 and in-tank lift pump. I've helped the breathing quite a bit though, new intake manifold and CAI, and 4" turbo-back Hushpower exhaust.

I have no idea what turbo they are running, my guess it is water cooled, like the he351ve. How much boost were you pushing? My he351 made 48psi when I had it, I am not saying it was happy but had minimal play on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back