NAPA to WIX conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search on the NAPA Gold 1060 and the coverts to the WIX 51060.

I did a search on the NAPA Platinum 41060 that also converts to the WIX 51060.

I did a search on the NAPA Nascar Select 91060 that my machinist recommends and that also converts to a WIX 51060. Hmmmm….how could that be?

I wonder if that “spin flow technology" that my machinist must like really great and worth special ordering of a case of the NAPA Nascar Select 91060?

1) Which is the WIX 51060 closer to the NAPA Gold or NAPA Platinum of Nascar Select?

2) Is the NAPA Platinum 41060 worth the extra money?

I also looked up the racing oil filters. Seems they trade off flow (9 - 11 GMP vs 28 GPM) for filtration size 21 micros vs. 61 micros. For street use the street filter makes sense. When I run the car in a time trial does the racing filter make sense?

a Wix is equal to a Napa Gold. as for the platinum, no one can really say since they havent released beta ratios/filtering efficiency/dirt capacity for it yet..

Napa filter numbers are very easy to use. They are all made by Wix, and as you figured out, to convert a Wix number to a Napa Gold, simply remove the 5 at the beginning of the number. Want to convert the Gold number to Napa ProSelect? Add a 2 to the beginning of the number. Convert to the Nascar filter? Add a 9. Convert to a Silver? Add a 3. Convert to Platinum? Add a 4. Super easy.

The Wix branded filters are closest to the Napa Gold.

NAPA Nascar Select 91060 is supposed to have fins in it to create a swirling effect inside the filter. This is supposed to help filter the oil better. I wonder....

Originally Posted By: RoadRace
NAPA Nascar Select 91060 is supposed to have fins in it to create a swirling effect inside the filter. This is supposed to help filter the oil better. I wonder....

I think it's a gimmick. Good filter, but the spinner is just marketing I think.

Racing filters keep the big chunks from passing through. I don't know if they are needed unless you have a very non-stock engine with oversized oil pump or something. The stock filter will handle redline on a stock engine. For racing a non-warranty car, I'd personally try to just run a higher efficiency filter in a larger size if I could match all the filter specifications like bypass pressure, burst pressure, flow, etc., etc...

For street use I would use the filter with the better filtration. It makes sense to use the NAPA Gold 1060 / NAPA Platinum 41060 and the WIX 51060

But in Time Trials where you push the engine, one might prefer to use the filter with the higher flow rate. Thus my machinist recommendation of the NAPA Nascar 91060 oil filter. But I can't find flow data on the NAPA Nascar oil filter 91060. Anyone have data on this filter to help make and intelligent choice.

Last edited:

But in Time Trials where you push the engine, one might prefer to use the filter with the higher flow rate. Thus my machinist recommendation of the NAPA Nascar 91060 oil filter. But I can't find flow data on the NAPA Nascar oil filter 91060. Anyone have data on this filter to help make and intelligent choice.

Flow vs pressure drop data of any filter is ultra hard to find. I highly doubt you will find anything for that filter.

Time for someone to put together a home built filter flow bench.
grin.gif

The Wix 57502 which is cross referenced to the Motorcraft FL500S has a nitrile ADBV but the Napa Gold FIL7502 is silicone. When I contacted Wix, they said they do not make a Wix/FL500 interchange with a silicone ADBV.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Flow vs pressure drop data of any filter is ultra hard to find. I highly doubt you will find anything for that filter.

grin.gif

Not Flow vs pressure drop data but just flow data in GPM. The standard Wix or NAPA Gold flows 9 - 11 GMP vs 28 GPM for their racing filter. The down side, as previously mentioned is the partial size it will filter. The NAPA Nascar Select 91060 might be somewhere in-between, but I can’t find the data.

Last edited:

grin.gif

Not Flow vs pressure drop data but just flow data in GPM. The standard Wix or NAPA Gold flows 9 - 11 GMP vs 28 GPM for their racing filter.

Stating a flow rate spec like that doesn't really tell you much ... maybe just as a rough comparison between filters is all. Having Flow vs. PSID data is the best. If the "9-11 GPM" number was assumed to open the bypass valve with hot oil flowing, then it kind of tells you the flow performance story ... kind of.

grin.gif

Not Flow vs pressure drop data but just flow data in GPM. The standard Wix or NAPA Gold flows 9 - 11 GMP vs 28 GPM for their racing filter.

Stating a flow rate spec like that doesn't really tell you much ... maybe just as a rough comparison between filters is all. Having Flow vs. PSID data is the best. If the "9-11 GPM" number was assumed to open the bypass valve with hot oil flowing, then it kind of tells you the flow performance story ... kind of.

The flow performance is really all I am looking for. If the NAPA Gold flows 9 - 11 GMP vs 28 GPM for their racing filter and I know I am going to run the car hard in a Time Trial, I probably want a filter that flows 28 GPM. I am using a Melling Performance High Volume oil pump with a Canton 6 quart Road Race Oil Pan. After the race for finer filtration, unscrewing the racing filter and replacing it with a Gold or Platinum filter may be prudent. My guess is the NASCAR filter may have been somewhere inbetween.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back