oil cooler removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer with a 4.3 V6.I want to remove the oil cooler from the engine.I have the procedures to remove it and it cost nothing. I just dont see the need for an engine oil cooler that runs through the radiator cause I doubt the oil gets much hotter than the coolant. What do yall think.

Oil does get hotter than the coolant and will do moreso if you take the cooler off.

Take look at where the cooler is, it's in the cool end of the radiator, so the coolant is lower than engine coolant gauge temperature where it's cooling the oil.

Since GM cheaps out and leaves the oil cooler off the standard model Corvette, what's the odds that they put put unecessary coolers on their low end vehicles.

Last edited:
Well its the same 4.3 v6 thats been put in the Astro and the fullsize truck that dont have oil coolers so why would a Blazer have one.Im just afraid one of the rubber hoses is gonna blow and bye bye engine.Atleast the tranny lines are metal.

That's a good point on the bigger vehicles. I don't worship at the alter of GM, but suspect there is some valid reason the Blazer has it. You Blazer's cousin, my 1995 Sonoma S15 also has one. They put them on the S series vehicles with those engines for long time.

You could always plumb in an oil temperature gauge while you are at it. An OT gauge is good thing to have in any case.

This isn't just an oil cooler, it's an intercooler. It also serves the purposes of getting the oil up to operating temperature faster than it otherwise would. This is especially beneficial in cold weather. You should not disconnect it.

Quote:

Oil does get hotter than the coolant and will do moreso if you take the cooler off.

Take look at where the cooler is, it's in the cool end of the radiator, so the coolant is lower than engine coolant gauge temperature where it's cooling the oil.

Since GM cheaps out and leaves the oil cooler off the standard model Corvette, what's the odds that they put put unecessary coolers on their low end vehicles.

the oil is on the hot side of the radiator .the trans fluid flows through the cool side.

Quote:

Quote:

the oil is on the hot side of the radiator .the trans fluid flows through the cool side.

Then it's there to buffer the cooling system. There are synergistic effects with oil:coolant exchange. I can't necessarily explain it ..but I can describe the effects. There's a tremendous differential between coolant flow and oil flow. Hence you can unload a good bit of oil temp without impacting the coolant temp. Now when you do this (my speculation) you're also unloading the cooling jackets of heat that normally is absorbed via the head since the pistons are sending the btu's out a whole new door. This appears to reject more heat than would normally be shunted in the other pathway of the cooling system by itself.

Sophomoric offering ..but it satisfies my observations. I'm open to alternative views
dunno.gif

Example: My 2.5 TJ is @ 210F with the air on in 90F temps at highway speeds. We know that highway speeds tend to produce the highest oil temps due to the higher combustion impulses per minute (verified in non-cooled/non-exchanged engines). With a laminar cooler installed ..temp was locked at the normal temp (in colder weather w/o air on) at 205F.

So, higher oil temps, normally, at that state ..so the btu's that are excess in the unexchanged state should have added MORE heat to the system ..yet a net loss was realized.

Here's one study by a guy on JU (jeeps unlimited) that really put many oil coolers to the test. His findings on laminar coolers showed the same results that mine did. BOTH systems experienced reduced temps. Now I find his temps a bit on the high side pre-cooler ..but I don't know the conditions of his testing ..only that I experienced like results in using them.

All the graphs are gone
frown.gif

Daless2

Quote:

That's the way it is on my Chrysler, too. All the more reason to leave it alone. It's not an "oil cooler," it's a heat exchanger, i.e., intercooler.

OK Ill leave it on .The main reason I wanted to take it off is the fact that I dont trust the rubber hoses that runs to the radiator. I would hate for one of those bad boys to blow. What would be a good interval to change those hoses.Im sure the ones on there are factory so they are 6 years old.

my 97 blazer has a leaking oil filter adapter but the cooler lines are fine. my problem is getting the 2 bolts holding it on the block to come out. any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back