Fram XG8A

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never thought I'd be using, let alone endorsing, a Fram filter, but after eleven months and 5000 miles with the XG8A on my Chrysler, I'm sold. This filter has provided quiet starts without fail, which is something I can't say for any other filter I've tried on a 3.5 Chrysler.

I'll be changing my oil later today and using another XG8A.

XG8A_080409.jpg

I have also used this filter and despite my prior convictions on Fram's in general found it to be well made and worked well. I did look at it's construction here on BITOG before using.

This filter seems to be a real winner - right up there with M1, P1, Amsoil, and other top filters.....

I'd use a Fram Xtended Guard, if I couldn't get my other preference, not a bad price at $9. Basically $1.50 more than the Wix filters for my app. Still, unless I was going for 10,000 miles or more on that particular OCI, I would feel comfortable using a PureONE up to 5,000 in my current app; 7,500 if I knew the engine was clean/low insols, etc.

A good value for an OCI of 7,500-10,000 compared to other high-end filters like BD+, EaO, M1, RP; etc.

Last edited:
At $13 it's priced a bit better than M1($15) or K&N($16) up here. Concidering local Wix or NAPA Gold pricing lately, not bad at all. I would use one but never have, not sure why....probably price.

No dissection pics?

The XG series filter is top tier ... and priced about the same as other top tier filters. It's the only FRAM I would use.

Its only 8 dollars at my local meijer.
only thing I don't like is fram rates it for 97% efficiency.
for a little less OCI duration you can get the tough guard thats 99% efficiency and only 6 bucks.

I ran a TG16 on my wrangler and it performed its job.
I have also ran a XG16 and it worked too.
but i do OCIs of 3-4k and like the extra filtration.

but at the end of the day Im running a purolator pureone

2 things that are not desirable with a filter as pricey as the XG... filtration efficiency and the plastic bypass valve.

Originally Posted By: kemo
2 things that are not desirable with a filter as pricey as the XG... filtration efficiency and the plastic bypass valve.

What is wrong with the efficiency? As far as I can see the Fram filters have a better efficiency than P1's. At least the small ones I use. I have to look again but the very small OCOD (6607) spec'd for my Altima filters 98.7@>or= 20 microns. The P1 is 99.9@40microns for the same size filter PL14612. Either way I am VERY happy with the construction of the X-Tended Guard. There is not a filter in the price range more solidly built. Please enlighten me if there is.

Originally Posted By: MrRPM
Its only 8 dollars at my local meijer.
only thing I don't like is fram rates it for 97% efficiency.
for a little less OCI duration you can get the tough guard thats 99% efficiency and only 6 bucks.

I ran a TG16 on my wrangler and it performed its job.
I have also ran a XG16 and it worked too.
but i do OCIs of 3-4k and like the extra filtration.

but at the end of the day Im running a purolator pureone

Say What ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back