'94 F-150 manual trans fluid --manual says Type F

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDD

Just picked up a '94 F-150. Has the 5 speed manual. Runs good and all and I want to change out all the fluids. The owners manual says to use Type F ATF. Is this info outdated, and if so, what would be a better choice for the truck? Type F is just such an ancient spec, that I have to believe there is something better. I believe the trans is manufactured by Mazda. Any input would be appreciated. Also, the trans looks to be leaking from what look to be rubber plugs. Is there an alternative to just putting in new rubber plugs?

I would use type F if that is what it calls for and it shifts well and is relatively quiet with type F fluid. It's inexpensive enough that you can keep it changed regularly. There are other options that will cost more such as synthetic type F (racing ATFs) or one of the synchromesh or synthetic MTF's.

I had a '93 Ranger with a similar transmission and honestly, I do not recall it specifying Type F, but I am not 100% sure since it has been a few years since I sold it.

Is this the M5OD trans?

Can't you use Mercon in those? If Mercon will work, then a synthetic Mercon should work (Mobil 1?).

I thought I remember Ford guys actually saying to *not* use Type F and to use Mercon instead. Call your local Ford place and see what they use. I'm guessing Mercon or Mercon V so that they can cut down on the number of fluids they need to keep around.

Originally Posted By: JRed
Is this the M5OD trans?

Yes, it has the M5OD transmission

The one good thing about type F fluid is that it should have good (quick) synchronizer engagement due to the higher coefficient of friction that is characteristic of this fluid.

you want a fluid with no friction modifiers basically.

So a thin-er MTF should be fine.

I believe there were replacement metal plugs for the rubber ones that would shrink and leak.

I think dex/merc is ok.. would stay away from any highly friction modified ones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

I believe there were replacement metal plugs for the rubber ones that would shrink and leak.

I think dex/merc is ok.. would stay away from any highly friction modified ones.

I believe the opposite is true. You WANT friction modified fluid for the synchros in the tranny.
Modern fluids are superb. Get a lightweight full synthetic synchromesh type from Redline, Amsoil, or a dino Pennzoil Synchromesh.

Any dino-juice Dexron III/Mercon oughta work fine. I don't see why Pennzoil Synchromesh wouldn't work well either (though the shift quality with synchromesh can go downhill fairly quickly).

Don't put Mercon V or Mercon SP in it.

Being completely honest - if you suspect it's currently filled with Type F and it shifts perfectly fine I'd stick with that. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Are you sure you weren't looking at the wrong spot in the owner's manual? Type F is probably spec'ed for the PS fluid, but not the trans fluid.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Originally Posted By: Rand

I believe the opposite is true. You WANT friction modified fluid for the synchros in the tranny.
Modern fluids are superb. Get a lightweight full synthetic synchromesh type from Redline, Amsoil, or a dino Pennzoil Synchromesh.

Let me clarify, If a transmission spec's Type F which has no friction modifiers. Thats what I would use to replace.. something with no friction modifiers. Of course you can always experiment.

I preferred redline MTL to mercon in a 2005 ranger 4.0(manual)

The factory syn MTL in my focus was much better than redline MTL IMO.

The subaru is probably going to keep factory fluids in it.. unless it shifts horrible at 10F this winter, as the front diff and transmission use the same fluid??

Last edited:
I believe B+M Trick Shift was a type F, with no slippery friction modification. Helped grab a bit.
Modern light manual trans lubes are superior in every way.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Are you sure you weren't looking at the wrong spot in the owner's manual? Type F is probably spec'ed for the PS fluid, but not the trans fluid.

The OP could be correct. Some manual transmissions are designed to use thinner ATF instead of gear oil.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

You, my good man are correct. I am a complete moron. Manual clearly states Merc for the trans and Type F for the PS. No excuses--I bookmarked the wrong page and came back to it later and read Type F. Again, sorry to waste all y'alls' time. Already changed out the trans with maxlife dex/merc.

I have an 89 F150 w/Mazda 5 speed and I put Supertech Mercon/Dexron III in it a few years ago and it still shifts just fine.

As for the rubber plugs, I just pulled them and glued them back on with some black RTV, leak free. You can also use replacement metal plugs if you still have a leak.

I used Mercon ATF in my Ranger and my F-150, they both worked great.

Originally Posted By: bobfather99
As for the rubber plugs, I just pulled them and glued them back on with some black RTV, leak free. You can also use replacement metal plugs if you still have a leak.

I used Mercon ATF in my Ranger and my F-150, they both worked great.

Bob--quick question: How did you get to the plugs---can it be done from the bottom or would I have to peel back the carpet and get to them from the top?

Glad you figured that out before doing the exchange!

I do want to clear up annoying misinformation though. If a tranny does in fact require Type F fluid, then use it! Type F fluid has NO friction modifiers (FM). FMs are additives that make an ATF MORE slippery not less. That is what Type F means, no friction modifiers. When gauging what ATF to use, never go more slippery. I would error on the side of too few FMs that more. I would rather my clutches slip less than more than stock.

Quote:
FMs are additives that make an ATF MORE slippery not less. That is what Type F means, no friction modifiers. When gauging what ATF to use, never go more slippery. I would error on the side of too few FMs that more. I would rather my clutches slip less than more than stock.

Let's add some more information in the mix:

A special Friction Modifier (FM) additive is incorporated into the base oil of manual transmission fluids to allow just the right amount of friction before engagement in the synchro assembly. I.E., this specialized FM chemistry gives rise to a specific coefficient of friction (COF) to allow engagement without “crunching.” Automatic Transmission Fluids (ATF) DO NOT have these specialized FM’s. Note, the specialized FM used in manual transmissions is NOT the same FM used in Limited Slip Differentials, nor is it the same FM used in Automatic Transmissions, nor is it the same FM used in engine oils. It is important to understand that there are different FM chemistries for different automotive applications!

My old 91 Ranger had the Mazda tranny and I used M1 ATF. This fluid helped shifting in colder weather and the tranny lasted for ever. I gave the truck to my son and he finally sold it this year with 354K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back