Shimano XTR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: cp3
Originally Posted By: scurvy
Just took a look at the good wheelset I have at home - LX hubs with Sun double-walled rims (Rhino Lite?). Nice and strong. Lightness need not apply.

Indylan, I'm in the same boat - I love getting cheap, older, 'obsolete' MTB components. They still work great!

How about a whole obsolete bike, got a couple mid 90s CCM non-suspensions for you, even come with stamped side pulls, nice and flexy!!

Well, with MTB bikes its almost all rider anyways. Back in my skinny days I did my first O-cup XC race with a Norco 7 spd with centre pull brakes, some suntour fork, and toe clips... Like the plastic ones with a nylon strap... I heard a few snickers on the start line but I finished in the top 1/3 and passed lots of better bikes with slower riders...
You can ride whatever you want but a guy with 3 or 4% better fitness and better handling skills than you, will probably leave you behind on almost any MTB bike on almost any trail in Ontario.

So true.
A good bike is nice, that is for sure. But ultimately it is your skill and finesse that matters most.
I pass people all the time at Blue MTN on downhill bikes, and I am riding an SX Trail. (OK its close 7" travel) but still.

Also, I still recommend SRAM over Shimano! I was hooked the first time I rode X-9 and have not gone back.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: cp3
Originally Posted By: scurvy
Just took a look at the good wheelset I have at home - LX hubs with Sun double-walled rims (Rhino Lite?). Nice and strong. Lightness need not apply.

Indylan, I'm in the same boat - I love getting cheap, older, 'obsolete' MTB components. They still work great!

How about a whole obsolete bike, got a couple mid 90s CCM non-suspensions for you, even come with stamped side pulls, nice and flexy!!

Well, with MTB bikes its almost all rider anyways. Back in my skinny days I did my first O-cup XC race with a Norco 7 spd with centre pull brakes, some suntour fork, and toe clips... Like the plastic ones with a nylon strap... I heard a few snickers on the start line but I finished in the top 1/3 and passed lots of better bikes with slower riders...
You can ride whatever you want but a guy with 3 or 4% better fitness and better handling skills than you, will probably leave you behind on almost any MTB bike on almost any trail in Ontario.

So true.
A good bike is nice, that is for sure. But ultimately it is your skill and finesse that matters most.
I pass people all the time at Blue MTN on downhill bikes, and I am riding an SX Trail. (OK its close 7" travel) but still.

Also, I still recommend SRAM over Shimano! I was hooked the first time I rode X-9 and have not gone back.

Wouldn't SRAM require pretty much an entire retrofit of the bike though? I was figuring I could do Shimano stuff in stages.....

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Wouldn't SRAM require pretty much an entire retrofit of the bike though? I was figuring I could do Shimano stuff in stages.....

Nope, you just need the shifters to match the (rear) derailler. And actually the front derailler can still be Shimano with a Sram shifter. Cassette, chain, crankset, can all be any other brand.

yeah, Ive seen hybrid sram/shimano setups. I heard one guy say that this was best as each mfr has parts that they are best at...

Nope, you just need the shifters to match the (rear) derailler. And actually the front derailler can still be Shimano with a Sram shifter. Cassette, chain, crankset, can all be any other brand.

Excellent! OK, then this is worth considering. What in SRAM do you like?

Seriously what is wrong with your bike or what dont you like?

If all youre doing is going to shed weight, that's one approach. if youre looking for bling, thats another, etc.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

If all youre doing is going to shed weight, that's one approach. if youre looking for bling, thats another, etc.

Am I going to get ripped on if I say nothing? LOL

The bike performs very well. However, I would like to shed some weight, and am looking at lighter components and wheels to accomplish that.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Am I going to get ripped on if I say nothing? LOL

The bike performs very well. However, I would like to shed some weight, and am looking at lighter components and wheels to accomplish that.

I went through the upgrade questions (kind of got the itch) when I got my new 29er. It was just that my perception of the levels of parts was making me desire something "better".

But I just couldnt justify it, not at least until something starts acting funny (even if it is fixable by adjustng nad greasing) or something else. It just doesnt seem worth it to me from the reading Ive done. They are all going to shift more or less the same. Probably the SLX stuff on my current bike is better than the XT stuff on my MY2000 bike...

I kind of am looking at bike parts like computer parts to be honest.

And loosing weight is a very valid thing (though some will argue that carrying less water or loosing a few pounds yourself is the better/cheaper option). But I think it is done better on wheels and other parts than driveline components... at least as I hear.

The other issue Ive had is that it is so $$$ to replace components, that if youre doing a lot, you almost might as well replace the bike!

Excellent! OK, then this is worth considering. What in SRAM do you like?

Best value is X-9.
Much like XT/XTR you are mainly paying for lower weight with X-0. The shifting is so positive though, you will absolutely love Sram.

I agree on the XT / XTR thing. I love my mostly XT drivetrain at this point. Still need to upgrade the front derailer and cranks, but with a SRAM chain, XT shifters, cassette and rear derailer, it's a pretty good setup.

I've used the same generation XTR stuff once, and it may have been a hair better, but not enough to notice. The biggest thing was the weight difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back