2005 Caravan tranny fluid/filter change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan has 89000 miles on it, it has had no transmission fluid changes until today, the dealer did a pan drop fluid/filter change (they got about 4 quarts out). The owner's manual says no transmission fluid changes necessary under normal condition. The service manager told me that Dodge put out a TSB saying not to perform any tranny fluid flushes to service the transmission, only pan drops, is this correct? The transmission has always shifted fine and the fluid looked pretty good before I had it serviced, should I wait a while and have it performed again? Thanks.

I plan to do a pan drop fluid & filter change on my mom's 2005 3.8l Grand Caravan in the next week or two. Pretty much same conditions as yours, about 84k miles on the clock and never changed but working fine.

The capacity for the transaxle is 4 quarts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Buick92
Our 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan has 89000 miles on it, it has had no transmission fluid changes until today, the dealer did a pan drop fluid/filter change (they got about 4 quarts out). The owner's manual says no transmission fluid changes necessary under normal condition. The service manager told me that Dodge put out a TSB saying not to perform any tranny fluid flushes to service the transmission, only pan drops, is this correct? The transmission has always shifted fine and the fluid looked pretty good before I had it serviced, should I wait a while and have it performed again? Thanks.

No , it is not correct. They say not to power flush. All the new machines use the trans own pump to gently push fluid out.
Would you only change 1/3 of your oil?
If the fluid looked good , I would wait a bit and have a good shop do a fluid exchange.
The advantage you have now is that the dealer did the hard part and hopefully changed the filter if that trans has one. So you got most of the dirt out and will be ready to change fluids in the future.

You could either have another pan drop or do the low pressure flush as chad8 said. I would just go with what is cheaper for you. If the flush is not that much more just get all new fluid. If you do another pan drop you will have put enough new fluid in to be fine for another 40-50k. I personally would just do the drop, but the new machines are much better and safer than the "power flush" type. You can do it whenever you get a chance, no rush.

Last edited:
Here's a copy of that TSB. It is rather vague. At first it makes one believe you never have to change any of the fluids. Then it goes on to talk about not using flush chemicals.

It tells you not to flush your engine, but of course we change the engine oil. Following that logic, I assume it's o.k. to change your tranny fluid, just don't "flush" it. As others have said, today's machines (T-Tech) exchange the fluid with the tranny's own pump. Don't get a reverse flush (does it exist?)or use any harsh chemicals.

http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2600109.pdf

Originally Posted By: Buick92
I thought the tranny held like 11 total quarts?

According to my Chilton's manual, it says capacity is 4 quarts. I think I'll be double checking that online before I do my drop!

I'm also doing a pan drop in my Ford E-350 E4OD (18~20 quarts) and my Grandma's Crown Vic (14 quarts).

I saw Napa ATF+4 is ~$5.60 a quart. I just bought three 12qt/cases of Chevron MD-3 at Costco Business for the two Ford flushes for $33.99 each.

Last edited:
You guys are talking about re-fill capacity vs. total capacity.

I'd suggest leaving the new filter in place and instead use the return cooler line(ATF coming back from the radiator to the transmission), as the 'exchange' method for remaining old fluid converting to new. There is more info on it if you aren't familiar, but if you are why not use that method?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
You guys are talking about re-fill capacity vs. total capacity.

I'd suggest leaving the new filter in place and instead use the return cooler line(ATF coming back from the radiator to the transmission), as the 'exchange' method for remaining old fluid converting to new. There is more info on it if you aren't familiar, but if you are why not use that method?

Almost all the machines do exactly this. remove the cooler lines and let the trans pump push new in and old out.
It cost $80-130 to have someone do this and $50 if you do it yourself. can be a bit messy too. your call.

When I changed ours a few months ago, I dropped the pan and then let it drain for 2-3 hours. It took nearly 6 quarts to fill it back up.

Ours had 75k miles on it (we had just purchased it). After the fluid/filter change, the shifts were very firm. This leads me to believe that the old fluid was worn. Over the next 3k or so miles, the shifts gradually softened as the computer re-learned.

I did a pan drop last week on our 03 and also let it drip for a while. IIRC, 5 qts went back in.

a "mityvac" ($60 thru amazon) makes a fluid change very easy.... suck it out, pour it in.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back