Pennzoil Platinum VS Quaker State Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the main difference other than Price? After I finish up the 3000 miles on the Pennzoil HM in my truck I'm going to synthetic. Is this a bad idea at 121,000 miles? No leaks on my truck (2005 Ranger) I just use HM oils for that reason, I own a HM truck. I've mainly used QS Products in my truck (QSGB, QSHM) and I think I like the way my truck runs on them vs this Penn HM I put in a week ago. Seems as if the Penn has made my truck less sensitive and I have to take more time to accelerate. Regardless, is Ultimate Durability a good oil? I never hear about it on here much, I do hear about PP quite a bit. Also, after reading alot on here about oils, Im thinking of putting 5w-20 in my truck for the first time since I owned it (Ford, Local Auto Shop, and Goodyear all put in 10w30 as did I for roughly 20-30k miles now) would this be a problem now that ive run 10w30 on it for so long? the manual and ford both say 5w20, idk why the local ford dealer (I had free OCs for a year after I bought the truck) put it in to begin with

Anyway, Ford always had on their invoice Motorcraft BULK 10w-30 w/ Motorcraft filter

My Mums mechanic always put in Kendall Dino 10w30 and a NAPA Gold Filter

and after I was stuck in a ditch and had to get pulled out I got an alignment the next day and my oil filter was cracked so Goodyear gave me a good deal on an OC with the alignment (cheapest OC ive ever had! 5$!) they used Castrol HM 10w30 and a Carquest/WIX filter.

I dont think 10w30 is gonna harm my engine, In Florida the only thing NOT hot as [censored] is...well everything is...

For Florida they use the thicker oils becuase they stand up a little better to heat. Thinner oils tend to better in cooler climates where engines get lots of cold starts. Either way you should be fine you may get slightly better MPG witht he thinner oil but in the very hot summer the thicker stuff may be better for your truck. In Mexico you rarely see anything less than 10w40 and most are at least 15w40 or 20w50

QSUD is an awesome oil. 5w20 has a proven track record, but if you want to run thicker there is really no problem, no huge benefits either. MotorCraft SynBlend 5w20 is a great oil, tested by Ford extensively.

I have QSUD 0W-20 in the Acura and am not nearly as happy with it in the Acura as I was with it in my Camry. With the QSUD in the Acura, the engine seems louder and not as muted, like I have a 10wt oil where a 30wt oil is supposed to be. I may even take it out and put Ultra back in before the OCI is up, just for subjective reasons. I quickly became a QSUD convert based on how it ran in the Camry, but I don't like it at all in the Acura.

It's still excellent oil. My 3.5L V-6 just doesn't seem to run as smooth on it.

I've been using PP and PU for about 3+ years until recently. With the great uoa's for QSUD I had seen I decided the extra $$ in my pocket for using QSUD was worth it. Both my wife's 2.5 NA Subaru & my 5.3 Silverado are running QSUD 5W-30 right now. Both seem very smooth and seem to "like" the oil... seat of pants testing at its best. At any rate I have nothing but good things to say about Quaker State Synthetic. Both PP and QSUD are SOPUS oils-that's good enough for me.

Compare the specs:

Pennzoil Platinum

Quaker State Ultimate Durability

If anything the QS seems to have a slight edge in the specs, at least in my 5W-30 weight.

Thanks guys, Me personally have loved SOPUS products ever since I started using them. Everytime I am buying Oil and some newbie is looking I recommend SOPUS products, the best for both your vehicle and your pocket.

I also tend to talk people out of Fram, Supertech and STP filters.

I've liked SOPUS products myself, having used PP, QSUD, its predecessor Q Horsepower and Rotella T6 for a diesel application. Good oils at good prices.

There was a recent VOA of QSUD and a UOA of PP. It looks like they have the same add pack! I wonder if it is the same oil just a different jug or if its the same add pack with different base stocks.

Wouldn't it make sense from a financial aspect for both oils to be the same or extremely close?

Originally Posted By: volk06
There was a recent VOA of QSUD and a UOA of PP. It looks like they have the same add pack! I wonder if it is the same oil just a different jug or if its the same add pack with different base stocks.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
Wouldn't it make sense from a financial aspect for both oils to be the same or extremely close?

Originally Posted By: volk06

Exactly. They use to be seperate products with completely different ad packs but doesn't look like the case anymore. The PDS numbers are a little different tho

So in a Ford Ranger 4cyl with 120k miles on it, using Pennzoil platinum or QS Ultimate with a Distance + filter and mainly HWY driving what should my OCI be?

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Yeah, Im not using a Fram.

7.5K to 10K with filters you say are better just cost you more.

I didnt say they were better, but the old saying goes "You cant teach an Old Dog new tricks"

Ive used Purolator/Bosch with great success, so Naturally I am going to use them over a Fram. Im new to this whole Synthetic thing, Id give a shot at K&N, if that would lengthen the OCI vs a Bosch/Purolator. But if its the same I will use the brand I normally use.

In reality, there is no "Best" filter or Oil, some people have had great success with a STP filter and Peak oil, some people have messed up there car with it.

Its one of those things, youre either used to, born into, or have always known. Like Milk, I cant stand 1% because I never had 1% Milk for a lengthy period of time. Im a Vitamin D fan.

I like Wix filters, lots of decent quality filter media. There is some great filter analysis on this site.

Some of the super premium long-life filters just don't filter out small stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back