Oil filter with magnet = more efficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I read somewhere that some of the oil filters have magnet built in them. Do they really work?
confused2.gif

I have some dead hard drive that I can pry out the magnet out of and they are very strong magnets.

Anyone have any experience in this matter?

TIA

You already have a magnet on the drain plug. Personally I don't like the idea of putting a magnet on the oil filter. Because there is so much pressure and oil flow right there. I'd think it do more harm than good if the metal got loose and went into the bearings. If you have metal in your oil. You have bigger problems.

The company that makes the Magnefine sells an adapter you put between the oil filter and oil filter mounting base that has a magnet. But I have not seen any reports good or bad.

Seen lots of pics posted here of metal filings stuck to top or sides of dissected filter cans using magnets, post use.

Only possible negative I've read is that, if the filter went into bypass the filings could come loose and flow back to engine. Whether that is true or not, can't say. But, though I don't use one, I don't think that would keep me from trying it if I wanted to.

And afaik not all oem oil drain plugs are magnetic. Never owned a car that came with it.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
You already have a magnet on the drain plug. Personally I don't like the idea of putting a magnet on the oil filter. Because there is so much pressure and oil flow right there. I'd think it do more harm than good if the metal got loose and went into the bearings. If you have metal in your oil. You have bigger problems.

confused.gif
I want to mount the magnet from outside of the filter can, not inside. no direct contact between magnet and oil. Hope that clear up the confusion.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Seen lots of pics posted here of metal filings stuck to top or sides of dissected filter cans using magnets, post use.

Only possible negative I've read is that, if the filter went into bypass the filings could come loose and flow back to engine. Whether that is true or not, can't say. But, though I don't use one, I don't think that would keep me from trying it if I wanted to.

And afaik not all oem oil drain plugs are magnetic. Never owned a car that came with it.

I plan to mount the magnet just after the ADBV and next to the filter media (cylindrical sidewall?). I was thinking that if I put the magnets at the dome, it might keep the bypass open either by magnet force or the filings you mentioned. No?
21.gif

Oil drain plug magnet maybe good but there are limit of how much it can collect and some of the filings may creep into the plug screw thread. Sure you can clean it, but won’t be 100% clean or close to it.
27.gif
too much micron filings that are out of reach.

If my process of thought correct and works, then the filter can be used longer (don’t know by how much), taking off some work load of the filter (filings will stuck on the sidewall instead of filter media) and the filter can filter other stuff that is not magnetized. At the end of the day, you throw/replace the filter and no need to clean it.
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Some vehicles come from the factory with a magnetic drain plug and some do not.

My car is 2006 Honda Accord V6 6MT. I don’t think my car comes with magnetic drain plug as I’ve never seen any filings on it when I do my OC.

Originally Posted By: AccordV6MN

confused.gif
I want to mount the magnet from outside of the filter can, not inside. no direct contact between magnet and oil. Hope that clear up the confusion.

get a filtermag. seems to work well. you can just get a neodymium magnet and use that yourself. The problem with using hard drive mags is that you have no idea what their rating is. Unless your neodymium is rated for high temperature, it can lose quite a bit of magnetism at the oil operating temp of a car.

Also, if you're going to DIY, check out halbach array. It will increase the magnetism of whatever magnets you use.

fiddler

Originally Posted By: AccordV6MN
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Some vehicles come from the factory with a magnetic drain plug and some do not.

My car is 2006 Honda Accord V6 6MT. I don’t think my car comes with magnetic drain plug as I’ve never seen any filings on it when I do my OC.

Transmission comes with magnetic drain plug. I've not have a car that comes with one for engine oil.

fiddler

All cars have magnetic drain plugs. You don't see any metal on it because it shouldn't be there. Atleast all my past/current vehicles have them.

All cars have magnetic drain plugs. You don't see any metal on it because it shouldn't be there. Atleast all my past/current vehicles have them.

There are plenty without them, believe me. I've never actually come across a magnetic oil drain plug, and I've done a lot of oil changes over the years. I've never come across one in any Impalas, Caprices, Town Cars, Crown Vics, F-150s, Dodge diesels, or Chev trucks.

Originally Posted By: Garak

There are plenty without them, believe me. I've never actually come across a magnetic oil drain plug, and I've done a lot of oil changes over the years. I've never come across one in any Impalas, Caprices, Town Cars, Crown Vics, F-150s, Dodge diesels, or Chev trucks.

+1 ... I've always had to put a magnetic drain plug in every new car I've bought. Only vehicle that I've owned that did come with a magnetic drain plug are motorcycles.

How can I know if my car has magnetic plug before my next oil change? I googled it and no mentioned about it but lots of web selling it for my car. So, I think it safe to say that my car is not equip with magnetic plug yet.
21.gif

Any idea about magnet around the sidewall of oil filter will help in reducing ferrous metal? Specifically, ones that found in UOA and listed in ppm.

Has anyone checked these out??? http://www.shopfiltermag.com/index.php

I have seen them in operation on some of the industrial engines that I have worked on. The magnets will trap the ferrous metal to the side of the filter housing and hold it there till the filter(s) is changed. Then you slide it off and move it to the new filter(s) and put the unit back on line. Not promoting them but have seen them in operation and liked the results.

Now guys,, I am going to warn you as it will shock the, you know what, out of you when you see the price on these little babies, so be warned!!

Of course a magnet will help catch ferrous material in the oil and of course that's beneficial. Whether it's a cost effective modification (given the cost of the good magnets) is another matter.

The better magnets will catch most, if not virtually all, of the ferrous material running through the filter.. and safely hold it there. The question is whether that will have a noticeable payoff over the time you will own the car. If you are like me and keep cars for decades (we still have the '00 AccordV6 bought new) it might pay off. If you will trade the car in at 100K miles, probably not. Thing is, the Accord V6s are not notorious for shedding iron (find UOAs in the the appropriate section) so if you take care of the car normally , it will still go 200,000-plus miles without spending the extra hundred on a whiz-bang magnet. In an abstract, cost is no object, sense... heck yes, go magnetic. I'm just not sure the long term payback is there.

Alternatives include using the magnets from old computer hard drives... high quality magnets. Maybe not as good as the Fitlermag kinda stuff but an improvement. Ditto for a magnetic drain plug. BTW, my Accord does not have a magnet on the engine drain plug but does on the transmission.

IMO, worrying about a filter bypass event "flushing" the iron off the filter can and into the oil is pedantic. Could happen but the odds are way, way against it. The same bypass event could flush all the junk off the filter media, with or without the magnet... and the magnet is at least HOLDING the iron versus the junk on the filter media just laying there for the most part.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Of course a magnet will help catch ferrous material in the oil and of course that's beneficial. Whether it's a cost effective modification (given the cost of the good magnets) is another matter.

The better magnets will catch most, if not virtually all, of the ferrous material running through the filter.. and safely hold it there. The question is whether that will have a noticeable payoff over the time you will own the car. If you are like me and keep cars for decades (we still have the '00 AccordV6 bought new) it might pay off. If you will trade the car in at 100K miles, probably not. Thing is, the Accord V6s are not notorious for shedding iron (find UOAs in the the appropriate section) so if you take care of the car normally , it will still go 200,000-plus miles without spending the extra hundred on a whiz-bang magnet. In an abstract, cost is no object, sense... heck yes, go magnetic. I'm just not sure the long term payback is there.

Alternatives include using the magnets from old computer hard drives... high quality magnets. Maybe not as good as the Fitlermag kinda stuff but an improvement. Ditto for a magnetic drain plug. BTW, my Accord does not have a magnet on the engine drain plug but does on the transmission.

IMO, worrying about a filter bypass event "flushing" the iron off the filter can and into the oil is pedantic. Could happen but the odds are way, way against it. The same bypass event could flush all the junk off the filter media, with or without the magnet... and the magnet is at least HOLDING the iron versus the junk on the filter media just laying there for the most part.

I think you've about covered it.

Magnets are not new in filtration. The benefit is questionable. If one uses magnets and finds a lot of metal in their oil, you've got more problems than having a nice shiny magnet on the outside of the can.

Some filters may show some metal in the can when you cut it open. You'll find it at the bottom of the filter. The "bottom" may be either the dome end, one side of the element can if mounted horizontally, or near the threads if mounted inverted.

The by-pass valve should be located away from the "bottom". So harder for metal particlas to flush past. Obviously with a horizontal mount either engine end or dome end offer similar protection. Chances of larger metal pieces getting past the by-pass is still remote.

As the element itself filters particles the human eye can't see, why try to collect them on a magnet? Unless you know your element is getting plugged and the by-pass opening more often, then magnets might help. Chances are people in this forum change their oil and filter in a proper manner and won't necessarily be candidates for oil filter elements nearing the end of it's usefull life.

Magnets won't prolong the engine until it's next rebuild.
wink.gif

Last edited:
I run a magnetic drain plug in all my vehicles. Reason being more as a monitoring device to determine if anything abnormal is going on inside the engine. If I see relatively large metallic particles show up on the drain plug, then I know something is amiss.

Typically, there will always be a slight amount of "black sludge" which is metallic particles so fine that it looks like slug instead of individual particles you can see with your naked eye.

This is my 2004 Altima 3.5L V6 with 5K on the oil. Car had ~36K miles when these photos were taken. Typical slight amount of "black sludge" on the magnet. The engine in this car is in good shape ... burns hardly any oil over 5K OCIs, and internals are spotless. Using Mobil Clean 5000 non-synthetic and PureOne PL14610 filter.

DSCF5899-a.jpg

DSCF5904-a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back