Oil level is 1 inch above the Full dot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there cause for concern here? On Monday I had a friend come over and he changed my oil for me while I watched (I couldn't get the blasted drain plug out but he managed to break it loose and properly tighten it for me so I won't have so much trouble changing it myself in the future).

We added the 5 quarts as we checked the oil dipstick along the way. By the time we were done filling all 5 quarts, he checked the dipstick and showed me that I might need to get another quart of oil, and slowly add it until it reached the full line. It was between min and max. I didn't realize this (and he probably didn't either) that the vehicle was still on the ramp when we were checking oil levels. Nonetheless I did as I was told and picked up an extra quart of oil and added about 1/3 of a quart. I checked the oil level and to my horror it was an inch or so above the Full line. This was when the engine had cooled down for 20 minutes after in-town driving.

I took a trip yesterday to another town and I didn't notice any power loss/noise, etc.

The last time the oil was changed was from the user before me (I just got this vehicle 1,800 miles ago) and they had overfilled by about a half inch or so.

Is this a problem or should I not worry about it and watch it more carefully next time? I have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe LX, 3.5L V6 AWD.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Check the oil on the dipstick about 3 minutes after shutdown.

If there are no bubbles on the dipstick, you're ok.

Are there any bubbles or foam on it right after driving.

I did that once, overfilled to an inch over because my wife read an ATF quantity, not motor oil.

The level didn't drop, so the engine didn't consume it. No foam, it wasn't getting frogged up.

I did eventually pull a bit, but it wasnt necessary IMO.

One inch on the stick is quite a lot. What car and engine? What does the owner's manual say about oil capacity? Personally, I wouldn't leave it in there.

How do you not realize the car was still on ramps?
confused.gif

This happens all the time at quicky lubes. No foam, no worry. What car?

32.gif
I always underfill to the nearest open quart then run it, back down, let it fill the filter, etc.

Overfilled by an inch on the dipstick? I would get some quarter inch or 5/16 inch OD tubing, stick it down the dipstick tube, and siphon out the excess.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother trying to correct the oil level. As MolaKule suggested, if there are no bubbles or froth on the dipstick after a hot shutdown, the oil isn't getting foamed by the crank and therefore no issues.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
I wouldn't bother trying to correct the oil level. As MolaKule suggested, if there are no bubbles or froth on the dipstick after a hot shutdown, the oil isn't getting foamed by the crank and therefore no issues.

I agree.

It has happened to me as well over the years and Never turned out to be an issue.

Another good reason to use just the quantity the manufacture recommends. Dip sticks and when you check the levels can produce false readings. My 2002 F150 w/the 4.6 reads full at six quarts added. My friend had a 2001 with the same engine and it would be just above the add line at six quarts
21.gif
. Follow the owner's manual, it tells you quantity to use at an oil change and how to check the oil properly to get an accurate reading.

Whimsey

PS: follow Molakule's advice.

Nah, it's not gonna hurt anything. But, if you are worried about it let a little bit out. Either way, do what isn't gonna keep you up at night, lol.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Another good reason to use just the quantity the manufacture recommends. Dip sticks and when you check the levels can produce false readings. My 2002 F150 w/the 4.6 reads full at six quarts added. My friend had a 2001 with the same engine and it would be just above the add line at six quarts
21.gif
. Follow the owner's manual, it tells you quantity to use at an oil change and how to check the oil properly to get an accurate reading.

Whimsey

PS: follow Molakule's advice.

I actually use a little less than the quantity in the manual. I put in 5-qt instead of 5.2-5.3-qt in the LS400 and S2000 then check the oil level before starting the engine and the next day, E430 needs 8.5-qt and I put in 8-qt.

The simplest way to remove some oil is to simply remove the oil filter, drain and reinstall. Repeat if you need to remove more. This can get a bit messy if your filter isn't in an upright position.

You friend screwed up. After adding the correct amount of oil, he should have quit.
What in the world was he smoking/ingesting?

So i guess when i did my oil change and lost some sleep over the level being almost a quarter inch above the full mark it was not really warranted? My engine doesnt burn any and i put in mobil HM in my truck and a mobil 1 EP filter I want to go the long run of 7500KM at least. I am getting a test done at 5000. maybe ill crack the plug.

Right now I'm running 6 quarts in my Buick that calls for 5 quarts. The reason why I'm running the extra quart
is because I figure it's easier on the oil when there's more of it. I'll let you guys know if anything happens.
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back