Keeping belts and rubber hose clean-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a SAFE way to clean the rad hose -among the other various rubber parts under the hood.

I used to detail my newer cars by spraying with 303 after a damp cloth wipe down (or compressed air). However I have an older car that is quite dirty, so my usual dusting and 303 (no cleaning properties) is not going to work.

Would like to have the car clean going into the Winter but I don't want to use a product that will eat rubber.

Last edited:
I wash the engine bay with garden hose water after sprayed Castrol Super-Clean on a warm engine, then applied 303 after dried the engine with a blower from a wet/dry vacuum.

303 has oils right, so if petro isn't that a no-no for life/longevity of rubber? Wouldn't hand 'washing' with a soft rag or sponge with the most basics of soaps(not oxy etc), be best followed up with perhaps a coating of silicon spray(if not even that)?

Another 303 user here. HOWEVER, I did apply AutoGlym's Vinyl & Rubber Care after I cleaned up the engine bay two weeks ago. Of course it looks great when ya first apply it. So we'll see how this product holds up after a couple of months.

Think thats that is the safest way to apply a product is to spray it onto a cloth.

I like clean, dont care for a shine or finished look under the hood.

I agree with the damp rag approach. Were not looking for UV protection that Im aware of...

I'm not big on shine either, my goal is to preserve the rubber as much as possible.

My thinking is that the longer grime and dirt sit on various rubber parts, the more likely they are to break down the rubber.

In my recent search for a cleaner that was safe for all materials under the hood (aluminum, rubber, plastic) I became concerned with the use of regular Simple Green, because it has a reputation of being caustic.

I then learned about Extreme Simple Green which was developed for aviation...aluminum, plastic, rubber. "it causes no harm to aircraft structural metals, plastics, paints, or coatings."

http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_products_extreme.php

From their faq section: "Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner and Simple Green® Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances."

When I contacted the company to find a source of the aviation stuff, they said that the Simple Green Pro HD at Home Depot was the same formula with a different dye color. Bingo.

So.....I clean with the Pro HD and treat with 303 IF I want a bit of zing (Rubber/plastic underhood).

When I wanted the hoses and other rubber parts underhood to look nice, I would simply treat them with the same stuff that I would use on the dashboard, or the stuff I put on tires.

That was simply due to me not wanting to have to buy a large number of chemicals.

most rubber hoses will outlast your car nowadays without ever touching them........ don't put something on them to degrade that

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
I'm not big on shine either, my goal is to preserve the rubber as much as possible.

My thinking is that the longer grime and dirt sit on various rubber parts, the more likely they are to break down the rubber.

Depends on the grime. If you have fuel or oil residue under there, then sure, get it clean once and let it stay clean. If its just road dust and dirt, I doubt it creates degrading side reactions that cause the rubber to break down.

Now lots of grit on a belt may wear the belt or pulley, but that is a different kind of setup.

I use to use WD40. not sure if it would hurt the longevity of the hoses, but it sure cleaned them up real nice and easy

Never use any solvent based chemicals on belts or hoses, not to mention you should never use any of the old varnish clear paint that some dealers used to use years ago.

I remember working at a Honda store that used that clear spray, and within a year or two it was peeling off and looked horrible and it also gradually damaged the rubber increasing the wear quite a bit over what it should have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back