BMW Dynamic Stability Control Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom has a 2005 BMW 330ci convertible with only 13k miles on it. The other day she said some light came on the dash. I took a look and it's the light for the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC). The light for the parking brake is also on. According to the owner's manual, the light should come on if you turn the DSC off via the button on the dash. Pressing the button doesn't do anything. So that means there's a malfunction in the system. The car drives fine and has no odd symptoms. Where should I begin looking for the cause of this problem? Can anyone tell me which code readers/scanners can read BMW-specific DSC codes? This is NOT something the average $100 code reader can do.

Is it still on the original battery?

In my experience, some European cars can be sensitive to voltage drop during cranking and set oddball faults if voltage drops too low, when there is nothing really wrong with the car.

Might try disconnecting the battery, give it a good charge, and reboot the car.

Check the battery, low voltage will do weird things. Also on some of the newer BMWs you have to have the PCM reprogrammed for a new battery due to the adaptive charging system.

I had the battery disconnected and removed from the car all winter long. I reinstalled it in the spring and the car drove fine all summer long, no reprogramming needed. Like I said, the car has only 13k miles and a lot of that is highway, so I highly doubt the brakes are shot, but I can check them anyway.

Is the BRAKE light yellow or red. Usually those two light only turn on when you disable the system by pressing the DSC switch; that combo is you turned it off. Did something get spilled on the switch?

I don't remember what color it was. Like I said, pressing the button doesn't make it turn off. Nothing spilled on the button, food and drinks are not allowed within 10 feet of this car lol. It is absolutely mint (and SHOULDN'T be having any problems...)

I'd make sure the battery is in good condition and then disconnect it for a period of 30 minutes, after you disconnect it put the key in the ignition and turn to start a few times to drain the capitance out of the electrical system. Then after 30 minutes reinstall the known GOOD battery. See what happens, get back to us.

I never heard of the ECU needing a reflash when the battery is disconnected, I tend to doubt that is accurate.

I do know it IS true with European cars that consistently low voltage or even slightly unstable voltage may cause symptoms like you mention, my own car, a VW will have alarm issues when the battery is not functioning correctly that would make you think it was system related.

Did a little more research. It seems it could either be a battery issue like some have said, or it's probably a sensor for the DSC system (ABS sensor, steering angle sensor, etc), or maybe the DSC module. I found out that there are pretty much no code readers/scanners that can read BMW-specific DSC codes, pretty much except AutoEnginuity, which is really expensive and requires a laptop which I don't have, so screw that. So I can try checking out the battery and cleaning the ABS sensors and hope that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, I'm off to the dealer for a good ol' fashioned butt-raping.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Did a little more research. It seems it could either be a battery issue like some have said, or it's probably a sensor for the DSC system (ABS sensor, steering angle sensor, etc), or maybe the DSC module. I found out that there are pretty much no code readers/scanners that can read BMW-specific DSC codes, pretty much except AutoEnginuity, which is really expensive and requires a laptop which I don't have, so screw that. So I can try checking out the battery and cleaning the ABS sensors and hope that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, I'm off to the dealer for a good ol' fashioned butt-raping.
eek.gif

Depending on the size of your city, you may have a place that is specialized in European cars only. You might be able to save money there.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
You need a Peake code reader.

I thought the Peake doesn't do DSC codes? I'll have to lok into it again

Just thought of something: If the problem had to do with dirt/debris on the ABS sensors, the ABS light should be on too right? Like I said before, the ABS light is NOT on. So I don't think I should even bother cleaning the sensors.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
You need a Peake code reader.

I thought the Peake doesn't do DSC codes? I'll have to lok into it again

I just emailed Peake customer service. They said their readers do NOT read DSC codes.

Bugger, I knew they did the VANOS ones, which you can't get through OBD II. Figured they might do the DSC ones.

So looks like maybe a dealer visit
frown.gif

You could use Inpa/DIS software to read DSC and everything ...
Google Bmwcoding.... website and you will find all the stuff that you need.

If you were local I would do it for free ...

When you change battery on newer BMW you have to reset the computer there is a procedure that needs to be followed.

If you change type of battery AGM to WET itd you need to do "reflash"

And yes low battery could be a issue

Last edited:
I thought that the AGM type of battery didn't go into BMWs until after 2001? Thought they were all lead acid at that point?

You need to be an engineer to re-create an INPA or other reader to get into that system.

Find an indy mechanic who can scan codes.

The lack of the ABS light makes this confusing. That combo of lights is what you get when you manually disable DCS. I don't know of a condition that can turn on just those lights...

Sounds like a really nice ride. Kind of the opposite of my 02 325Ci with 150,000 miles lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back