Mobil 1 5w30 EP that much better than Mobil 1 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: teddyboy
Either oil is outstanding for 10K OCIs in most engines.

Tig, I will soon need your encouragement. Wife's Camry is out of warranty and I will change from Toyota 0W20 syn to M1 next change. My plan is to adopt a 10K oci when I make the switch over.

The 10K OCI has been great for the Duratechs and I see no reason it won't be for your Toyota. But realize I have been doing 10K OCIs since 1978, so my that's my normal.

I've been a bit ocd about 5K oci using M1. Going 7500 in my Volvo was a big step for me. Going 10K in the wife's 07 Camry is the next move. I'll stay with 5K in the sludge prone 97 and 98 Camrys.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
Either oil is outstanding for 10K OCIs in most engines.

Tig, I will soon need your encouragement. Wife's Camry is out of warranty and I will change from Toyota 0W20 syn to M1 next change. My plan is to adopt a 10K oci when I make the switch over.

The 10K OCI has been great for the Duratechs and I see no reason it won't be for your Toyota. But realize I have been doing 10K OCIs since 1978, so my that's my normal.

That's what i'm doing in my Mazda6s Duratec.

Peted,

For the price Mobil is asking it had better be good over the standard M1.... For the OCI's your planning I'd get the extended and make sure the oil filter will go the same distance. Besides that using the extended give you a 5K cushion no matter what. That makses me feel better than running it so close using the standard M1.

Durango

Originally Posted By: steve20
...M-1 has always produced more valvetrain noise in any vehicle I've used it in, that, the high iron levels, and that debacle after Katrina, when M-1 wasn't really M-1, is enough for me to choose SOPUS...

I guess it comes down to... you use whatever trips your trigger

Me too. I mean I have used M1 for years, and don't anymore, for the same reasons...but there are a lot of high mileage cars that have always used Mobil 1 (or whatever cheap stuff the quick lube places put in) out there.
But since I am an oil nerd, I tend to the oils that seem to produce the best UOAs and run quietest for me. That is SOPUS, Valvoline, and Castrol products--the best I can tell.

Originally Posted By: steve20
just the 5-30 for higher iron levels

Hasn't Doug successfully used UOAs on his fleets for decades?
He does comment occasionally on the UOA posts-there must be some value to a B-Stone WearCheck or CAT UOA!
Maybe Doug used the 300 dollar UOAs with pictures of the wear particles magnified 1000 times?

I think RR hit it on the head with the following statement:

"""I don't think the average user will keep their car long enough to matter anyway"""

Doug has also repeatedly commented on the misuse of UOA's on this site for comparing and contrasting oils and trying to determine any sort of insight about engine wear based on the limited information provided by the inexpensive UOA's that most people do.

Doug did a massive amount of UOA's over millions of Km's for a specific family of engines. This was primarily done to establish trends and monitor oil life. For wear, he did random tear-down tests.

He also posted pics of liners and bearings with 1.2 million (IIRC) Km's on them that were still "within new" spec, that were run on 90K OCI's with Delvac 1 in 500HP Detroits. They were returned to service after being measured.

I can wager that the "wear numbers" from the UOA's that engine had would probably make most people on here freak out. Given that his condemnation point for iron was 100ppm......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back