Mobil 1 0W40 SN VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
e69403-001.jpg

This is a great oil right here! Thanks for doing all of this for us. Definitely makes the site more interesting and informative. I hope to add to the list soon. Thanks a lot brother!

The only oil in the M1 lineup that hasn't changed chemistry to the new lower Ca + Mg additive system.

DING DING DING! Healthy traditional package on that puppy. I suppose the 40 is not constrained by ILSAC resource conserving ash limits.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
DING DING DING! Healthy traditional package on that puppy. I suppose the 40 is not constrained by ILSAC resource conserving ash limits.

1.3% according to Mobil1.com

-Dennis

You can't find a better 40 weight oil on the market then Mobil 1 0W-40. You can buy it for $4.99 quart on sale too!

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
mmmmm

Yup. I sometimes cuddle with the 6-quart boxes of M1 0w40.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
Lot's of zinc in that puppy. Does that comply with zinc limits of API SN ? FWIW-Oldtommy

Just to clarify, there's no API SN limit on Zinc, but rather Phosphorous; which limits Zinc indirectly. And yes this 0W40 does comply ... since the P limit doesn't apply to this grade.

Last edited:
Lots of boron considering its' low atomic weight of 10. Boron compounds potentiate normal Zn/P AW effects.
My Delvac 1 SHC has only 1189 ppm Zn but 245ppm B.

Charlie

What do you all make of the fact that the 0W-40 SN does not seem to be adopting the reduced calcium/additional magnesium that the other SN grades have? Is it due to Ash limits as ArcoGraphite suggested? If so, since 0W-40 SN retains the more traditional additive package, does this suggest the reduced calcium/additional magnesium is compromised in other areas in order to meet reduced ash levels, since 0W-40 SN is sticking with the conventional package?

That looks great. Really strong TBN, and a nice thin 40-weight.

Lots of 30-weight apps. could use that without the slightest issue.

Originally Posted By: btanchors
What do you all make of the fact that the 0W-40 SN does not seem to be adopting the reduced calcium/additional magnesium that the other SN grades have? Is it due to Ash limits as ArcoGraphite suggested? If so, since 0W-40 SN retains the more traditional additive package, does this suggest the reduced calcium/additional magnesium is compromised in other areas in order to meet reduced ash levels, since 0W-40 SN is sticking with the conventional package?

That is a good question, one I'd like to know. I think it is due to the lower ash limits. What is odd though is the 15w50 looks like all the other M1 oils. The 0w40 is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back