Mobil 1 0W40 SN VOA

e69403-001.jpg

This is a great oil right here! Thanks for doing all of this for us. Definitely makes the site more interesting and informative. I hope to add to the list soon. Thanks a lot brother!

The only oil in the M1 lineup that hasn't changed chemistry to the new lower Ca + Mg additive system.

DING DING DING! Healthy traditional package on that puppy. I suppose the 40 is not constrained by ILSAC resource conserving ash limits.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
DING DING DING! Healthy traditional package on that puppy. I suppose the 40 is not constrained by ILSAC resource conserving ash limits.

1.3% according to Mobil1.com

-Dennis

You can't find a better 40 weight oil on the market then Mobil 1 0W-40. You can buy it for $4.99 quart on sale too!

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
mmmmm

Yup. I sometimes cuddle with the 6-quart boxes of M1 0w40.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
Lot's of zinc in that puppy. Does that comply with zinc limits of API SN ? FWIW-Oldtommy

Just to clarify, there's no API SN limit on Zinc, but rather Phosphorous; which limits Zinc indirectly. And yes this 0W40 does comply ... since the P limit doesn't apply to this grade.

Last edited:
Lots of boron considering its' low atomic weight of 10. Boron compounds potentiate normal Zn/P AW effects.
My Delvac 1 SHC has only 1189 ppm Zn but 245ppm B.

Charlie

What do you all make of the fact that the 0W-40 SN does not seem to be adopting the reduced calcium/additional magnesium that the other SN grades have? Is it due to Ash limits as ArcoGraphite suggested? If so, since 0W-40 SN retains the more traditional additive package, does this suggest the reduced calcium/additional magnesium is compromised in other areas in order to meet reduced ash levels, since 0W-40 SN is sticking with the conventional package?

That looks great. Really strong TBN, and a nice thin 40-weight.

Lots of 30-weight apps. could use that without the slightest issue.

Originally Posted By: btanchors
What do you all make of the fact that the 0W-40 SN does not seem to be adopting the reduced calcium/additional magnesium that the other SN grades have? Is it due to Ash limits as ArcoGraphite suggested? If so, since 0W-40 SN retains the more traditional additive package, does this suggest the reduced calcium/additional magnesium is compromised in other areas in order to meet reduced ash levels, since 0W-40 SN is sticking with the conventional package?

That is a good question, one I'd like to know. I think it is due to the lower ash limits. What is odd though is the 15w50 looks like all the other M1 oils. The 0w40 is different.

Back