B5 in Iowa...not so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dispute revolves primarily around Decker Trucking. I am very familiar with them. That being said, I would not put a lot of stock into what Decker has to say. Company drivers are not that great at making sure things are done right in a truck so as to minimize any problems. I have been running B5-B11 blends for a few years now. I run primarily upper Midwest with my International 9400i and Cummins ISX and have NEVER had a bio related problem, even at -25F. MPG's have been on par with straight petro diesel. I am for a B5 mandate in Iowa, but then since I am also in farming, I have a vested interest. Even if not associated with farming, I would run the blends and advocate for a B5 mandate.

When driing my MBs across the midwest I try to get bio blends. I DO notice an MPG loss.

Some seem to notice an mpg drop with bio. I never have. I go thru around 21,000 gallons a year of diesel. For me, I get similar mpg figures whether reg diesel or a blend. My semi averages around 7.5 mpg on either. That may seem like bad mpg to most, but it is 25% better than the industry average of 6 mpg. And that is on a 750,000 mile engine that has never been opened up except for running the overhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back