Is all ATF+4 synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually buy it for my [censored] Chrysler Town and Country Transmission from Walmart at $4.00 per quart. They were out of it and I had to go to Autozone. I wasn't interested in paying almost $7 per quart for Valvoline or Castol ATF+4 so I bought the store brand of ATF+4 figuring that all ATF+4 is synthetic. I was tired and thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

Anyways was I right or wrong? If I am wrong, I will return it and get the Synthetic stuff tomorrow.

Thanks

Looks like all ATF+4 is Group III, whatever that's worth. Hope that store brand has all the correct friction modifiers and anti-wear additives.

what is aap online and what is the discount code?

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
y not buy at AAP online and use discount code ?

Group III?

Originally Posted By: JRed
Looks like all ATF+4 is Group III, whatever that's worth. Hope that store brand has all the correct friction modifiers and anti-wear additives.

Group III means that it is synthetic. Others can explain/argue more.

All licensed ATF +4 is supposed to meet rigid standards and there in very little difference between any brand, so it is said.

Go to this site to find out if your brand is on the list, then sleep well.

http://www.centerforqa.com/licensedatf4brands.html

aap is Advanced Auto Parts. There are discount codes and you can order on line and pick it up at the local store at great discount (20 to 40 percent).

ATF+4 is made under License from Chrysler so it must conform to all the license requirements in order to be labeled as such. I get mine by the case at Advance Auto Parts on line and pick it up at the store. If you buy it today you can save $20. on a $50. purchase online using coupon code DOTD708 when you check out. I buy the store brand and get it for about $3.00/ quart they also have the Castrol Valvoline etc if you want to pay more for the same licensed stuff. Besides, do you really think the stores make their own stuff? Of course not!! The major manufactures make it and put it in a plastic quart container with the store name on it. That coupon code is only good thru 7/9 (today)

Yes. It has to use a Group III base stock.

NAPA ATF+4 is around $4.50 a quart. It is supposedly rebottled Valvoline.

who made advance auto part ATF+4 ? its worth to put 1 dollar extra to get castrol atf+4 ? i read some where back then advance auto part atf was castrol ?

I personally use AAP ATF+4 for my 2005 KJ and my 2006 Town & Country. Since the AAP oil they use is good and the ATF +4 is so tightly spec'ed by Chrysler, I have full confidence in using it.

Originally Posted By: 67Customs
I personally use AAP ATF+4 for my 2005 KJ and my 2006 Town & Country. Since the AAP oil they use is good and the ATF +4 is so tightly spec'ed by Chrysler, I have full confidence in using it.

it say compair to castrol, I guest it debadge of castrol

Last edited:
No Slug. All their house brands say, for example, compare to Castrol then on the bottom it says not made or in any way related to Castrol.

Here is what I found. I bought their house brand leather wipes. It said compare to armor all then at the bottom it said not related in any way to armor all. They smelled the same as Meguiar's so I concluded Meguiar's made them.

I've been getting popped for $7.50 each time I grab a quart of Castrol.

Do Chrysler transmissions last longer because of the use of synthetic, or do they require synthetic to last regular?

btw, I have an observation. I've been siphoning some ATF+4 out of the Dodge. First two times I swapped about a pint and it seemed to shift smoother. I've been doing this every 300 miles, but this last time it seemed to have worsened the 1-2 shift, but all others were pretty seamless.

Maybe there is some merit to the event of trans failure after doing a flush after neglecting it for 150k miles.

Also, in the owner's manual it says the color of ATF means nothing. I've heard this from time to time, but I must admit I like amber motor oil and red transmission fluid.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Group III means that it is synthetic. Others can explain/argue more.

All licensed ATF +4 is supposed to meet rigid standards and there in very little difference between any brand, so it is said.

Go to this site to find out if your brand is on the list, then sleep well.

http://www.centerforqa.com/licensedatf4brands.html

aap is Advanced Auto Parts. There are discount codes and you can order on line and pick it up at the local store at great discount (20 to 40 percent).

Yea, when it comes to ATF+4, you can safely use WHATEVER fluid is the cheapest, and leave it at that.....who knows if it's a "true" full synthetic fluid....but if you're transmission specs ATF+4, I would not consider deviating from that spec
wink.gif

Chrysler goes through and has to "OK" every brand that states they meet ATF+4.....you can't just put ATF+4 on your bottles without consent from Chrysler from what I understand.....

BUT, what I don't quite understand, is Royal Purple MaxATF states that it "meets" ATF+4 spec.....BUT, Royal Purple Max ATF is not listed on that centerforqa site above posted
wink.gif

Same is true with the Amsoil, and Red Line; all of which carry "Multi Vehicle" ATF which states they meet ATF+4......but they are not listed on the centerofqa site
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back