3800 Series II: Valve Stem Seal Replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Engine has 234,000 miles but all else if fine minus oil consumption. Valve Stem seals (VSS) are the primary culprit on otherwise factory original engine.

Can the VSS be replaced with removing the valve covers and getting at them this way alone? Or, does the camshaft and other engine internals need to be messed with? (Translation super high labor costs and lift time)

Although it may be an apples and oranges comparison this poster was able to do it a Honda application ... which I may falsely assume is a DOHC application.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2327558#Post2327558

Last edited:
Yes, you can replace the valve seals without taking the head off. you'll need a valve spring compressor and you'll need to bring the cylinders to TDC as you replace the seals on each valve.

Quote:
Can the VSS be replaced with removing the valve covers and getting at them this way alone?

Yes, no problem doing these. If the engine is transverse the rear will be a minor PITA because of clearance.
Removing the upper plenum gives a lot more room to work and makes life easier.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Yes, you can replace the valve seals without taking the head off. you'll need a valve spring compressor and you'll need to bring the cylinders to TDC as you replace the seals on each valve.

Not necessarily TDC. Use a valve spring compressor, and a air hose from an air compressor to the spark plug hole. You can do a valve in about 4 minutes. The last one you can do with your eyes closed.

How do you know it is from the valve seals? I've owned several high mileage 3800s, and never seen a hint of the tailpipe smoke associated with bad valve seals. Valve cover gaskets and oil pan are the usual culprits, but I wouldn't doubt if some gets past the rings too. My Regal uses about a quart every 5000 miles, not enough for me too worry, although I did replace the valve cover gaskets for safety reasons.

I'd look at valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket before valve stem seals. My oil pan gasket on my old Buick leaked a quart or so every 5-6k miles, and the valve cover gaskets weeped a tiny bit. A new oil pan gasket slowed the consumption to maybe 1/4 quart over 5-6k miles. Both are known problems on 95-99 Series II 3800's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back