More questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, the oil filter on my new Briggs platinum 26 hp two lunger looks just like any other.

How do I avoid paying the stupid high parts prices?

Can't I just buy one at the local auto parts store?

You can, but even aftermarket brands are expensive in that particular size. I serviced a Briggs 24hp twin and the Purolator filter was $10, which was within a dollar or two of the Briggs filter. I probably could have tried various alternative sizes to get a cheaper size, but it wasn't my engine, so I used the direct-application part number.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Can't I just buy one at the local auto parts store?

Yes. Take the Briggs part number with you and they can look up the equivalent Napa Gold, Purolator, etc filter.

If you're dealing with the standard briggs filter, you can use a purolator instead. Model #L10241, can be had for around $4.

filtersh.jpg

Thanks for the part numbers!

My next project will be updating the fluid in the hydrostatic trans!

BE VERY CAREFULL with this.....
Contact the manufacturer of your trans and find out what they recommend. SOME are designed to be NON serviceable.

These units are designed to use a very specific oil type in the trans axles especially hydro units. Use of the wrong fluid type can and will destroy the hydros.. Not this unit mind you but a new hydro pump and wheel motor for a quality ZTR will set you back about $1500.00
I've had more then one customer find out that using the wrong stuff costs a LOT of $$..

Don't worry, I contacted the mfgr directly. It's a tuff torq unit, and it uses 5w-50 motor oil!!!

Odd, I would have thought it used tractor hydraulic fluid.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Don't worry, I contacted the mfgr directly. It's a tuff torq unit, and it uses 5w-50 motor oil!!!

Odd, I would have thought it used tractor hydraulic fluid.

Not so odd. My John Deere 757 uses 15W-40 engine oil for the hydraulics, as specified by John Deere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back