Honda ATF Fluid Recommendations and Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
well,

i recently purchased a 94 Honda CIVIC sedan/DX... I threw in a JDM D15B BUT it is on the same AUTOMATIC transmission since 94 with 160K miles... the shifts are jerky. I doubt the person used genuine Honda ATF...

It has Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle for drain/fill (FLUSH) purposes... I have HONDA ATF on the way, BUT is there something better? I also plan to add LUBEGARD tranny protectant. apparently, not many people are familiar with automatic transmissions on honda-tech. i was wondering if a POWER FLUSH will be ok also?

the transmission runs flawlessly, except for the jerky shifting.

Honda Z-1 is not the best stuff around, enough so that Honda finally replaced it with a synthetic as the recommended fluid virtually across the board. I have used Z-1, Redline D4 and now am using Valvoline Maxlife in my 07 Accord. At 160k, your car is a good candidate for it.

As far as a flush, I'd just use the drain/refill process from Honda: pull the drain plug, refill what drained out (maybe 25-30% of total capacity will drain at any one time; the rest stays in the converter), drive the car around the block, repeat until you've replaced it 3-4 times. Works like a champ, and adding Lubegard will bring an additional smile. ;-)

I would go with a top brand like Amsoil or Redline. Forget the additive. There is no such thing as a "Power Flush". Understand how a flush is done and you will realize calling it a "Power Flush" is only hype. If you want to spend an extra $20, get an inline filter like a Magnefine.

I'm using Redline D4 in my '96 Accord. This is my second 3x
drain and fill (was changed out with Z-1 at about 30,000 miles or s0...first change to Redline at about 60,000 miles...car now has 100,000 miles). It shifts much smoother with the Redline and other Honda enthusiasts tend to prefer this fluid for the Honda trans...(Amsoil is highly favored also)...so far I'm very happy with it (especially in the winter). Simply do a 3X drain and fill (with a little driving in between each change)and you're good to go. Honda advises against ANY flushes on their transmissions (not sure why) and it's obviously not needed.

If you go with the AMSOIL ATF, be sure to do a thorough "flush" of the old fluid. You can always disconnect the cooler line to the radiator.

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
Honda advises against ANY flushes on their transmissions (not sure why)

Because chemical flushes always leave residue behind; you can never remove ALL of the detergent/whatnot completely. That residue contaminates the new ATF.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: oilmaven
Honda advises against ANY flushes on their transmissions (not sure why)

Because chemical flushes always leave residue behind; you can never remove ALL of the detergent/whatnot completely. That residue contaminates the new ATF.

Then why doesn't Honda just say a flush is fine, just ask them not to add any cleaner or conditioner? I did that with another car, but my reasoning was to not mess up a UOA.

Typically for a BG transmission flush, they add the cleaner, idle the car for 20 minutes, do the flush then add a conditioner. Neither the cleaner nor the conditioner is in the flush machine so passing on both should not be a problem.

Just had the trans serviced in my 4 cyl '05 Accord. Bought used at around 60k, now with over 90k miles, it actually shifted very nicely, no problems. Was at the dealer for another issue, decided to change fluid and filter. The parts guy, who was in the service side for many years, said definately no to anything other than dropping the pan and replacing filter and whatever fluid loss there is. He said full fluid replacement has caused problems on these and numerous other asian transmissions. Also said the Honda fluid has been reformulated, is backward compatible, and a distinct improvement over the previous fluid. Like I said, it shifted nicely before, but I was pretty surprised at the smoothness and feel of the tranny afterwards. Quite an improvement where I had thought there was no problem. Price was about 80$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back