Running heavier oil's in high mileage cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if you have a tap that becomes light knock after some long WOT runs and then goes back to a tap as the oil cools a bit.

This is with M1 0-40, with M1 EP 15-50 the tap is only present after spending lots of time at redline. OE recommends 5-30

The tap became audible at about 90K and is slowly getting louder, but not yet to worry level, but the tap seems to come from the bottom of the motor - not valvetrain noise.

Car has almost 130K on it, most of it's miles are either easy long highway miles (22mpg)or hard highway miles towing a 1,500 pound trailer (17mpg). lots of time in deal's gap (10mpg). Occasionally a track day is thrown in for good measure (12-14mpg).

Nope never saw a need to. When the mains are really worn and its about rebuild time a heavy oil sometimes helps get a few more miles out of a tired motor.

I am currently trying a run of durablend 5w-30 in the escape,. I bought it used with 35,000 on it, it now has 85,000 on Motorcraft 5w-20

Since it is a relatively light 30 weight I want to try it because for all I know it may have been abused- not changed etc. If I bought the vehicle new I would run the 20 forever unless problems arose.
I am sure it would live a long life with either but not knowing the history I feel better with a slightly heavier oil that is approved for use in the engine outside the US anyway. Valvoline Europe recomends durablend 5-30 for this vehicle.
For our cold winter I will do one run of 5w-20 Dec-March

Last edited:
we switch oil weights based on consumption between changes.

That's it. No magic mileage or anything, just if the level drops faster than a quart per interval. All our changes are by olm, and probably hover around 4500 miles or so.

Not just bearing wear, but pistons, bores, rings, valves, and valve guides can wear. Also leaks .
All of these can be helped by a thicker oil.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Not just bearing wear, but pistons, bores, rings, valves, and valve guides can wear. Also leaks .
All of these can be helped by a thicker oil.

I've been reading the UOA archives and I see some engines that are
in desperate need of thicker oil. Especially those 5.3L Chevy V8's.
grin2.gif

My thought as well. It seems logical that as parts loosen from wear that using a thicker oil film would help prevent acceleration wear.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back