MMO vs. TC-W3 Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found in a V6 engine you can run 3 ~ 4 oz. of MMO per 10 gallons of gas and you may get some benefit out of it . In a 4 cylinder engine I found the MMO to gas ratio to be MUCH more sensitive than in a V6 . I used 3 oz. of MMO to 10 gallons of gas (1 oz. less than recommended) and my gas mileage still did a nose dive in a 4 cylinder ! Acceleration also was hampered significantly at this ratio of MMO to gas. I'll continue to play with the MMO ratio a bit (since I have close to full bottle) however my use of 1.5 to 2ozs. of TC-W3 per 10 gallons of gas have so far yielded much better results in the 4 cylinder with a 1 - 2 mile per gallon and smoother engine acceleration increase over plain gas alone .

Basically saying I don't think much of MMO in the gas at this juncture - especially in a 4 cylinder ... also recommended MMO ratio of 4 oz. per 10 gallons of gas seems to be too heavy a dose .

Last edited:
With MMO, anywhere near 4 ounces/10 gal fuel should be fine.
It really is not that picky.
Nose dive in MPG? Significant power loss? I just can't believe it's a miniscule MMO ratio causing this.

No doubt that 2 stroke oil is a much better lubricant, though. this is why more smoothness and power may be felt.

I used 3 oz. per 10 gallons (426:1) and went from 25mpg down to 21mpg with same route driven . I would have to consider using MMO at half the recommended ratio of 2 oz. per 10 gallons (640:1) and see if engine performance improved .

I saw a pretty big drop in mpg when dosing MMO much over 4oz/10gal. At that ratio all seems well. Go too low and the dose is virtually meaningless concentration-wise.

I've had over an ounce to a gallon of gas in my power washer and didn't notice any loss of power. It did change the smell of the exhaust though.

With MMO, the old addage "less is more" is really key
wink.gif
Just enough film to "coat" the innards of the fuel system, injectors, etc...

my typical dose is 3.25 oz. every fill up, using an old 2-cycle bottle
wink.gif
I just refill it every time I get home from the gas station. Honestly, if I could find a 2 or 3 oz. easy-dosing container, I'd use that instead. But the 3.25 every 10-11 gallon fill-up seems to be about right on-par.

Though, I noticed when I emptied that 3.25oz. of 2-cycle oil into my tank (wasn't gonna waste it! lol...) the car seemed to "stumble" a bit...note: it wasn't marked "TCW-3" but it did notate "Smokeless formula" with a notation about "Gas stabilizer added" or something....BUT, when I've added 4 oz. of MMO to a 10-11 gallon fill up, I didn't experience this "stumble" - so something tells me MMO is actually more "forgiving" than the 2-cycle/TCW-3
wink.gif

Last edited:
^I had the same symptoms and experience in my daily driver(see sig), when using too much actual TCW3. Did I not shake the bottle, old batch(it was conventional 2-stroke Pennzoil TC-W3)...or over-concentration? I think I needed to limit to 2 ounces(max) pre-fill up(10 gallon tank) with TC-W3 as compared to the 3 ounces or so I prefer in the same app with MMO.

Willing to try another product as an UCL, but I think those are the best value if they accomplish the first goal(ring seal is improved etc) and it's not even about improved MPG per se.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
With MMO, anywhere near 4 ounces/10 gal fuel should be fine.
It really is not that picky.
Nose dive in MPG? Significant power loss? I just can't believe it's a miniscule MMO ratio causing this.

No doubt that 2 stroke oil is a much better lubricant, though. this is why more smoothness and power may be felt.

I find the same pattern, if I use 4oz/10 gallon for MMO dosage, the car is more sluggish than 3oz/10gallon.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
With MMO, the old addage "less is more" is really key
wink.gif
Just enough film to "coat" the innards of the fuel system, injectors, etc...

my typical dose is 3.25 oz. every fill up, using an old 2-cycle bottle
wink.gif
I just refill it every time I get home from the gas station. Honestly, if I could find a 2 or 3 oz. easy-dosing container, I'd use that instead. But the 3.25 every 10-11 gallon fill-up seems to be about right on-par.

Though, I noticed when I emptied that 3.25oz. of 2-cycle oil into my tank (wasn't gonna waste it! lol...) the car seemed to "stumble" a bit...note: it wasn't marked "TCW-3" but it did notate "Smokeless formula" with a notation about "Gas stabilizer added" or something....BUT, when I've added 4 oz. of MMO to a 10-11 gallon fill up, I didn't experience this "stumble" - so something tells me MMO is actually more "forgiving" than the 2-cycle/TCW-3
wink.gif

I also found MMO to be more forgiving than TCW3 if you OD it. I found my Aerostar seems to idle a bit better with TCW3 than MMO. I use TCW3 at 1 ounce/5 gallons of fuel from time to time in the Aerostar. You have to be careful on this site when you mention the word smoother, or if you mention increased mpg, you'll get called out. I don't long mpg anymore, so I can't comment. But I can tell you the 200,000 mile + Aerostar does idle smoother with TCW3 than MMO, confirmed by two butt meters. LOL. It might make for a better ring seal than MMO does. Now the disclaimer, JMO

My Chevy 3.4 V6 clearly did not care for MMO at 4 oz per 10 gallons (lost 2 mpg) although my Jeep 4.0 absolutely loves it at that dose (gains 2.5 mpg). Fooling with half doses now in the Chevy out of curiousity.

Based on poor performance using MMO at 4 oz. and then 3 oz. per 10 gallons of gas , I am going to next try MMO at 2 oz. per 10 gallons of gas (640:1) and see how it does.

I have been running TC-W3 for a while now and I figure this is a good thread to share my results in.
I experimented with MMO and TC-W3 in both the vehicles in my sig. I found both products to smooth out the idle in the car but only TC-W3 was able to smooth the idle and increase felt acceration in both vehicles. I noticied no significant MPG increase (maybe 1-2 MPG in the car but not worth mentioning) with either product in either vehicle. Another benefit I found with TC-W3 was that it seemed to make my vehicles run the same (better) regardless of which brand/type/pump my gas came from. Before using TC-W3 I could noticibly tell a difference in idle and acceleration between brands of gasoline. With TC-W3 added, the idle and acceleration are the same regardless of where I fill up. The TC-W3's lower dose and cheaper price made it the winner of my tests. I have been running TC-W3 for over 4,000 miles in my truck and over 8,000 miles in my car. I recommend 1 oz per 5 gallons of fuel at each fill up.
Now for the the BITOG disclaimer: YMMV, these are MY results and I wont argue with anyone about them. There are alot more threads than this one about the benefits of TC-W3, please read them if interested. If anyone seriously wishes to discuss my results with TC-W3, feel free to PM me as I dont want to hi-jack this thread.

Originally Posted By: AMC
I have been running TC-W3 for a while now and I figure this is a good thread to share my results in.
I experimented with MMO and TC-W3 in both the vehicles in my sig. I found both products to smooth out the idle in the car but only TC-W3 was able to smooth the idle and increase felt acceration in both vehicles. I noticied no significant MPG increase (maybe 1-2 MPG in the car but not worth mentioning) with either product in either vehicle. Another benefit I found with TC-W3 was that it seemed to make my vehicles run the same (better) regardless of which brand/type/pump my gas came from. Before using TC-W3 I could noticibly tell a difference in idle and acceleration between brands of gasoline. With TC-W3 added, the idle and acceleration are the same regardless of where I fill up. The TC-W3's lower dose and cheaper price made it the winner of my tests. I have been running TC-W3 for over 4,000 miles in my truck and over 8,000 miles in my car. I recommend 1 oz per 5 gallons of fuel at each fill up.
Now for the the BITOG disclaimer: YMMV, these are MY results and I wont argue with anyone about them. There are alot more threads than this one about the benefits of TC-W3, please read them if interested. If anyone seriously wishes to discuss my results with TC-W3, feel free to PM me as I dont want to hi-jack this thread.

Good info!

I also found TCW3 to make my Aerostar run smoother. It has over 200K on it now, and the engine runs well but is a little "tired" I think. IMO TCW3 makes a better ring seal in engines which might have some wear. That tighter seal is probably why some engines seems to run smoother. As mentioned MMO cleans better and keeps things cleaner than TCW3 will. Either product is good, but in a tired engine like mine TCW3 does help smooth things out. JMO

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
I like MMO better, i can use it on my gas, oil. 2in1 ^^

I can do that with my TCW3...
and it can be used as an aftershave too.

LOLz, Jim

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
AMC-
That makes sense. 2 stroke oil is a much better lube than MMO.
But it is not a cleaner and is a bit dirtier.

MMMMM, not sure about that either. I did some other types of tests with MMO and TC-W3 where I cleaned my guns and lubed some sticky door hinges, creeper wheels and a few other things with both of them. In my tests, the TC-W3 cut the carbon and soot much faster than MMO and provided much thicker, slicker lubrication too. The TC-W3 was also a much longer lasting lube in almost every test as well. The MMO did seem to penetrate and flow into tight spaces better than TC-W3 though.
Now as far as the "dirtier" part, yeah it probably does contain more ash producing compounds than MMO but I still feel it is a good additive for regular ethanol laced fuels with virtually zero lubricants.

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
I like MMO better, i can use it on my gas, oil. 2in1 ^^

I can do that with my TCW3...
and it can be used as an aftershave too.

LOLz, Jim

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back