Redline 0w20 15,458miles Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Switched from RL 5w20 to 0w20 (reference). Iron level went up. We'll see on the next analysis but if level remains high, will switch back to 5w20.

Doug

E65492.jpg

^I think you might be right, at least according to 'recommendations'...I'd like to see what Mobil1 5w-20 EP could do instead or Amsoil ASM. 15,000 seems to be too long also, try 13,000 next time.

Also, here is the virgin analysis for this oil. I also put a larger then stock oil filter and compared results with previous microgreen and K&N filter. The larger filter has given better filtering:

Micron particle size and respective counts/ml. Note, first count value represent oem size microgreen filter, second is oem size K&N and third is an oversized mircogreen filters. First and second count had ~12,000miles, whereas, third is with 15,458miles on the car:

>=2: 1085,, 2878,, 833
>=5: 402,, 1066,, 308
>=10: 111,, 295,, 85
>=15: 43,, 114,, 33
>=25: 10,, 27,, 7
>=50: 1,, 2,, 0
>=100: 0,, 0,, 0

Doug

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Isn't the ZDDP high for modern cat systems?

Yes, but with a tight engine, it shouldn't be an issue. I'd rather replace the cat before the engine.

Doug

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^I think you might be right, at least according to 'recommendations'...I'd like to see what Mobil1 5w-20 EP could do instead or Amsoil ASM. 15,000 seems to be too long also, try 13,000 next time.

Why 13,000? Seems like 15k is about right?

Doug

Originally Posted By: Cyclops

Doug

We don't have a TAN here, so assuming a TBN of 1.4 is adequate is risky. I'll agree that everything looks great aside from the lowering FP.

Also, to the OP, I wouldn't worry about the minor up-tick in iron. What's the accuracy of sampling and analysis? I'd stick with 0W-20 and NOT go back to 5W-20.

Doug

Variables change etc etc, this appears to be an exhausted oil. 15,000 seen here is about near death, so I'm just offering the advice of perhaps giving the oil and your engine more headroom.

I see no reason to cut back to 13k. TBN is spot on for "time to change the oil" after 15k. I'd keep doing 15k if it was my Focus.

Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Doug

We don't have a TAN here, so assuming a TBN of 1.4 is adequate is risky. I'll agree that everything looks great aside from the lowering FP.

Also, to the OP, I wouldn't worry about the minor up-tick in iron. What's the accuracy of sampling and analysis? I'd stick with 0W-20 and NOT go back to 5W-20.

Completely agree.

Yes, but with a tight engine, it shouldn't be an issue. I'd rather replace the cat before the engine.

Doug

Have you replaced engines before?

I'm thinking a 15k interval is okay as a base number above 1 should prevent acidification but now I'm second guessing. I'll take this run to 15k as well but I'll add the TAN test to validate.

Doug

Doug

Have you replaced engines before?

LOL! Point taken but I'm a believer in the protective attributes of zddp.

Doug

Thanks for the UOA, I don't think you could get much better. I wouldn't switch either, you have a trend going and it is good. This was max though. Tan is hard on this type of oil though. Esters start out with higher acid #'s than petrol oil in general.

The TBN is your guide with this oil IMO. You have hit your max, but it is doing beautifully.

I also put a larger then stock oil filter and compared results with previous microgreen and K&N filter. The larger filter has given better filtering

Or lower wear. To know for sure, one would have to analyze oil AND filter.

I have some real (to me) concerns about people trying to do extended OCI's and verifying oil condition with simple Blackstone UOA's. Don't get me wrong, I have used Blackstone many times myself. But I understand the inadequacies of the basic with TBN report. For wear trending it works fine. But for oil condition and causes of abnormal wear, it becomes a guessing game. Ordering more testing from Blackstone is a must, or use a different lab that includes more oil condition testing.

Although wear indications and trends remain steady, the oil has thickened and it has more fuel dilution than Blackstone indicates. So with a relatively low TBN, I'd like to know what TAN, oxidation and nitration are to decide when this oil is truly unserviceable. Anytime there is thickening or shearing, a V40 cSt would be nice to have also.

This is only a recommendation, since you appear to be concerned about your investment enough to do a UOA. I'm just trying to point out that extended OCI's are a different animal than just following the manufacturer's recommended service schedule. IMO, getting more information is paramount to doing this safely, rather than getting a false sense of security from a simple Blackstone report.

I wouldn't say that. OP wend beyond a cheap UOA and included particle count.

I did see the thickening out of grade, but this 0W20 started as almost 30 oil, so it's not huge. I kind of wondered how Blackstone determined what should be the viscosity range for used 0W20 oil. They reported it as still in range.

IMHO, despite what people say, this UOA validated 15k miles in this application with this oil.

15k is pushing it for any oil IMO, unless you're getting a good UOA read. I'm becoming more conservative on extended drains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back