A/C manifold gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a good A/C manifold gauge set and have never worked on AC systems before so I have a few questions.

Are the brass setups "better" than the aluminum body ones? Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/CPS-Products-MB34-...1889&sr=8-1

Is a site glass an important feature or just a potential leak point?

I like THIS aluminum body set as it is made in USA with large gauges but not sure of the aluminum construction.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
11.gif

I really like both of those units so I guess that is the price range. The more expensive unit is more than I'd like to spend but if it's for a quality USA tool, I'll pay it.

Only plan on 134a.

Also, "manual" vs. "quick" clamps?

Thanks.

I have 4 sets of gauges (AC was one of my primaries). I can honestly say I never had any valve block fail me/need replacement whether they were brass or aluminum. The problems I had with gauge sets were mainly due to bad o-rings/leaks in the hoses/couplers.

I have had the best luck with the quick connects your second set of gauges (MA1234) have with the screw in tops. It lets you hook up the quick connects first, then you screw in the top to depress the valve. I think part of the price of that set is the quick connects on it.

Avoid glycerine filled gauges, nice in concept but they tend to leak fluid, and the damping action makes it hard to diag bad valves on compressors.

6' is minimum hose length.

Originally Posted By: punisher
I have 4 sets of gauges (AC was one of my primaries). I can honestly say I never had any valve block fail me/need replacement whether they were brass or aluminum. The problems I had with gauge sets were mainly due to bad o-rings/leaks in the hoses/couplers.

I have had the best luck with the quick connects your second set of gauges (MA1234) have with the screw in tops. It lets you hook up the quick connects first, then you screw in the top to depress the valve. I think part of the price of that set is the quick connects on it.

Avoid glycerine filled gauges, nice in concept but they tend to leak fluid, and the damping action makes it hard to diag bad valves on compressors.

6' is minimum hose length.

Thanks for the info! Turns out the car I was going to work on had another problem and not the AC. Will still have to get a good set of gauges in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back