1995 BMW 318ti/M42 1.8L engine oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got soo many diff. Recommendations. Want ta hear from the pro' so here's the info:
-1995 BMW 318ti stock
-engine's a M42 1.8L
-not bias to synth. Or conv.
-not sure on past history of motor has around 140xxkm
-live in Can. Manitoba but not driving in winter,so coldest's I'll be drivin it's maybe -10C to +30C although it did hit 35C yesterday but that's rare
-usually drive 1hr or more trips
-won't be ripp'n it too much it's just a 1.8l but a lil
-money isn't a concern want to treat this engine like a baby

Last edited:
A pro would probably say "use what the owner's manual recommends" or "use what BMW's current recommendation for that engine". BMW's current recommendation for that engine is either LL-01 or LL-98 approved oil. At your local Walmart or auto store, that pretty much means Castrol Syntec 0w-30, Syntec 5w-40 or Mobil 1 0w-40. There are lots of exotic and lesser known brands that cost more, but they aren't "better" in any way.

I used to have a 1992 318is with the same motor, and I ran Castrol Syntec 5w-50 in it. The M42 is a wonderful little engine and it can get by just fine with a modern 40 weight, or even 30 weight if it meets the right specs.

Speaking as an amateur, though, I'd recommend Mobil's Delvac 1 5w-40 in that engine. If you're not driving it in the winter, then change it once a year in the late fall when you're getting ready to store it. Change it, drive around the block a couple of times, then put it away until spring thaw.

Last edited:
The intelligent oil minder in this vehicle is calibrated for full synthetic oil. If you use full synthetic oil of the proper grade, the vehicle will accurately tell you when it's time to change.

I'd use an LL-01 oil in the appropriate grade like Castrol Syntech Euro Formula 0w-30, Mobil1 0w-40 euro formula, PP Euro Formula 5w-30, Valvoline SynPower 5w-30.

The maintenance reminder is not calibrated for synthetic motor oil, at least according to the OM of my 1995 318i.

I've tried Maxlife 10W-40, Tection Extra 15W-40 and M1 15W-50 in my 318i.
I've had the best fuel economy and the lowest consumption on the M1.
Fifty grade oils were recommended for this car when it was new. A 15W-50 is allowed down to -20C, or -4F according to the OM.
My next fill will likely be Maxlife 10W-40, although I've also got some Syntec 5W-50 stashed, as well as some GC.
If you're willing to pay for it, the M1 15W-50 seems ideal for the engine, in my personal experience.
Welcome to BITOG, and welcome to e36 ownership.

A better oil choice to GC would our own home grown ESSO XD-3 0W-30. I think it's been renamed Mobil now but it's the same oil.
It's a PAO HDEO that is lighter on start-up than GC because of it's higher 175 VI.

Not sure what is readily available where you are, but shouldn't be too hard to find a 5W-40 HDEO full syn. Rotella, M1 TDT, Schaeffer 9000, or even Castrol Syntec. This is the viscosity I would use, based on the info given. M1 15W-50 would work as well, just a bit higher viscosity overall.

I'm a BMW tech and we use 1540 in the 318s...have several that come in with 200-300k miles on them. I have never seen a uoa but its hard to argue with that kind of mileage.

I'll second the 15W-40 as a recommended viscosity for this engine. Runs clean and HDEO is very durable oil capable to go one whole driving season. Good antiwear. Perfect for spring/summer/fall. Readily available. Good price-value. I use it in these engines if no leaks/seepage present and owner doesn't specify synthetic.

FWIW, here's my UOA on a 200,000 mile M44. MaxLife 10w-40.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2092333

I usually just use a BMW LL-01 oil though. I have two changes worth of 10w-30 on-deck for upcoming summers. Castrol Edge and Pennzoil Platinum - both were too cheap to pass up.

The oil chart for these engines are funny; every grade you could possibly think of!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.. Um... Guys using 15-40 would you recommend that for max usually 30'C to -10'C. And what brand is that stuff. Also I have no clue wat previous owner ran I'm guessing dealer stuff.... Would I have to flush it and how?

Originally Posted By: Damen
Thanks everyone.. Um... Guys using 15-50 would you recommend that for max usually 30'C to -10'C. And what brand is that stuff. Also I have no clue wat previous owner ran I'm guessing dealer stuff.... Would I have to flush it and how?

Originally Posted By: Damen
Thanks everyone.. Um... Guys using 15-40 would you recommend that for max usually 30'C to -10'C. And what brand is that stuff. Also I have no clue wat previous owner ran I'm guessing dealer stuff.... Would I have to flush it and how?

No flushing is required.
In our climate, stay away from any oil heavier than 5W-XX.
While I'm certain you don't need anything heavier than a heavy 30wt oil; hence my recommendation of XD-3 0W-30.
If you must run a 40wt oil my first choice would be Mobil 1 0W-40 followed by Castrol Syntec 5W-40.
Shell Rotella T6 5W-40, a heavier 40wt has been recommended but we have more options in Canada that are not available in the States such as Shell Rotella T5 0W-40 and ESSO XD-3 0W-40, both superior choices to T6.

Ok thanks allot! 2more que's. Is that xd synthetique or should I go conventional. And is a wixx filter sufficient.... Once again thanks-alot. And I guess I'll throw 0w30. I guess I heard to attain that 0 in the weght rating more additives are added so would it be wiser to go with a 5w30 or 10w30?

What I meant is to get a greater difference between the wights like: 0w-40 takes more additives where as 10w30 would be more natural???? Someone told me that just curious... Which is better for my car conv. Or synth

0W-XX oils tend to use better base stock oils than 5W-XX and heavier oils as a result they usually have a higher viscosity index which actually has more practical importance than how well an oil flows at -40 degrees.

Yes ESSO XD-3 0W-30 is what is known as a "true synthetic" since it uses polyalphaolefins (PAO) GP IV base oils.
Being a HDEO it also contains 1100 ppm of phosphorus which your M42 engine will like. You can read about this oil below:

http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENCVLESEsso_Xd-3_extra.pdf

This oil is more robust than any 5W-30 or 10W-30 oil you can name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back