2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Oil Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just purchased a 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i (it currently has 317 miles on it).

According to Subaru NA our car came from the factory with their house brand conventional oil in it (Idemitsu), no break in additives, and they stated, "As a recommendation, the use of 5W30 Synthetic can be used for optimum engine performance and protection however this is not a requirement. Switching from conventional oil to synthetic oil would be at your own discretion and there is no exact time or mileage that is recommended to switch. The guidelines for using a synthetic oil is outlined for you on page 11-17 of the owner' manual."

My wife drives it M-F, 92 miles roundtrip daily, 70% of that is at highways speeds (45-75mph), 30% is in stop and go traffic (0-30mph).

I plan on changing the oil at 3750 miles and again at 7500 (7500 OCI is the Subaru default, 3750 OCI is the Subaru extreme conditions recommendation).

The manual says:

Synthetic oil: You should use synthetic engine oil that meets the same requirements given for conventional engine oil. When using synthetic oil, you must use oil of the same classification, viscosity and grade shown in this Owner’s Manual. Refer to “Engine oil” F12-4. Also, you must follow the oil and filter changing intervals shown in the Warranty and Maintenance booklet.
NOTE Synthetic oil of the grade and viscosity noted in chapter 12 is the required engine oil for optimum engine perfor- mance. Conventional oil may be used if synthetic oil is unavailable."

Sections 12-4 & 12-5 state:

"API classification SM or SN with the words “ENERGY CONSERVING” or “RESOURCE CONSERVING”

ILSAC GF-4 or GF-5, which can be identified with the ILSAC certification mark (Starburst mark)

5W-30 synthetic oil is required for optimum engine performance and protection. Conventional oil may be used if synthetic oil is unavailable.
5W-30 or 5W-40 conventional oil may be used if replenishment is needed, but it should be changed to 5W-30 synthetic oil at the next oil change."

My questions are:

(1) Any benefit to adding Red Line Engine Oil Break-In Additive?
(2) Which oil should I use at my first oil change (3750 miles)? Later?
(3) Should I stick with conventional oils for now, and switch to synthetic later? If to so when and to what? Or should I just stick with conventional oil?

That's it for now. Any/all suggestions are welcome!

#1. No advantage
#2&3. Switch to synthetic now if that is what you are going to use in the future. I like PP myself but for this application a dino oil such as PYB, Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline are good.

I have a 2010 Forester with a 2.5 liter naturally aspirated engine. I purchased the vehicle new.

I ran the factory oil for 500 miles and changed to Super Tech 5w-30. The manual for the 2010 does not call for synthetic. I went to 3,000 and had the dealer change it. They said they use Pennzoil conventional oil. At 7,000 I went to Mobil 1 5w-30, because I had it. At 13,500 I changed it and used Mobil 1 5w-40, because I had it. At 20,000 it will get another of my stash of synthetic purchased on sale and/or with rebate. Probably Valvoline Synpower 5w-30.

I would not use break in products unless called for by the manufacturer.

Any modern oil will likely serve you well. Synthetic purchased on sale makes me feel special.

I would just do synthetic for the extended OCI, but the fact that dino is jumping so high in price.. you might as well spend the 6 dollars extra and go synthetic..

welcome2.gif

Although it's not a "break-in oil", per se, the Idemitsu oil from the factory likely has high levels of moly in it for fuel economy purposes (probably trying to get the top mpg's). I know that the synthetic factory fill in the Forester and the turbo models does.

I would probably keep it in longer than 3,750 miles for this reason, but there's certainly no harm in changing it. N/A Subaru's are easy on oil so use whatever you want. There have been several good uoa's on conventional oil in Subaru's to 7,500 miles and beyond. I would pass on the RL break-in additive.

-Dennis

We are filling our 2011 Outbacks with conventional Castrol bulk 5W30. For 2011, the oil recommendations are:

---Legacy/Outback/Impreza/Tribeca: 5W30 conventional or 5W30 synthetic for turbocharged vehicles.
---Forester: 0W20 synthetic.

The use of conventional or synthetic in your car is just fine. The advantage of the synthetic is, of course, longer oil change intervals and a bit more thermal resistance. I'd say go for the synthetic. Subaru brand synthetics are by Idemitsu.

Any synthetic 5w-30 should be fine in a 2.5 liter non-turbo subaru engine IMHO.

1. No. Waste of money.
2. Any 5w-30 synthetic should be fine at 3750.
3. Unless this car is a lease, use synthetic. Long term, your car will like you.

Since Subaru dictates a 3750 mile change interval, even on a non-turbo, I'd go for whichever of the 5w30s is on sale at your favorite auto parts store. There's always a rotating deal for $30 + filter.

I wouldn't bother with the break-in additive.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Since Subaru dictates a 3750 mile change interval, even on a non-turbo, I'd go for whichever of the 5w30s is on sale at your favorite auto parts store. There's always a rotating deal for $30 + filter.

I wouldn't bother with the break-in additive.

I'm pretty sure its 8month/7500mi OCI and half that for severe service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back