Any experiences with Simplicity snow thrower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really focused on a Simplicity SS922EX. From my research, it's at the sweet spot of price and performance. Are there any BITOGers that have experience with Simplicity products and dealers?

Not sure which model that is. The web site doesn't reveal model numbers.

The two stage units are good products.
They have Briggs engines now, I prefer the Tecumseh.

Like most snowblower makers (except Honda) they are using lighter frames than in the past. That may or maynot affect the life of the chassis.

The commercial units are still heavy frame with prices to match.
You can't go wrong with those units.
7hp is the minimum in my opinion.

My 2¢

Not a bad looking machine per specs. It's got a Briggs OHV snow engine on it.

The only single-stage thrower I have experience with is a 2-stroke Toro model that was quite awesome. I wish I still had it as a backup.

product_6835_225.jpg

Can't say how the newer Simplicity machines will stack up against their older models. Other than the Pro series machines, their product line has, as with the other domestics, isn't what it used to be. I was fortunate enough to get one of the last non-pro machines to roll off the line of the Wisconsin plant. It's a very serious machine with many of the attributes of the Pro series less the square channel handles. I've had mine for going on five seasons. It's been bullet-proof so far and is one of the best performing snow throwers I've seen.

Personally, I'd buy a used pre-2006 Simplicity in decent shape. It will likely outlast their newer non-pro machines.

I'm sure 4-stroke, rubber/plastic paddled single-stage units have improved with the use of today's lighter, more powerful, easy revving OHV engines, but I think in this price range, I'd look into a Honda for a 4-stroke single-stage. They pioneered the technology ~25yrs ago.

I think the HS520A's can be had for ~$650.

HS520A_1x1.JPG

Joel

I think I am still leaning heavily towards the Simplicity. The Honda costs a bit more, the warranty is the same length, and there are dealers for each line within 10 miles of me. The only substantive difference is the engine. Honda is 160cc vs. Simplicity 205cc B&S. I don't want to get into a B&S flame war, but it is a well regarded engine. With 9.0 torque, there's plenty of power to move snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back