Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone used this oil? I'm thinking about switching to it. (0w-30)

Last edited:
How long would you feel comfortable running it?

Right now I'm use Castrol HM 5w-30 for 5000mi and it's still gold when I change it. in my 04 maxtix

5,000 miles should be no problem for M1's AFE lineup in your app, then.

5,000 miles on a HM oil and it's still golden?
crazy2.gif

PS: Get a UOA at 7,500 and see how it held up and then you have a reference point at least.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

5,000 miles on a HM oil and it's still golden?
crazy2.gif

PS: Get a UOA at 7,500 and see how it held up and then you have a reference point at least.

Yep, it looks as clean as the day I poured it in.

Is 7500 the max you would run the M1? Think it could hold up longer than that?

Should be able to go longer than 7500. Honda OLM normally tells me to change oil at around 9K, and that's for conventional oil. For M1 FE, I think a little over 10K should be OK.

Should be fine. M1 AFE should be good for 10-12k mile drains. EP up to 15k. Realize though some engines are harder on oils than others.

M1AFE offers superior high and low temperature protection.

Originally Posted By: logcar
Anyone used this oil? I'm thinking about switching to it. (0w-30)

Been using it in the wife's PT for coming up on 2 years, got a couple of very good UOAs back early on (6000 mile check in both cases on a 7000-9000 mile OCI) but haven't repeated recently.

Also using M1 0w20AFE in the Ram 1500 4.7L. Solid oil pressure with no indication of thinning even during heavy towing a few weeks ago in 103+ degree heat.

Everything I've read seems to indicate that the AFEs are built on very solid base oils. Whether the add pack being tailored for low friction costs you anything in terms of wear protection is more of an open question, but the UOAs certainly don't indicate an issue. But we know UOAs are very limited in what they can indicate, too. I wouldn't run them in a flat-tappet muscle car engine, but anything made in the last few years that needs a PCMO... sure!

Last edited:
For those who live through proper winters and have regular engines there isn't really any other choice. I wish there were readily available 0W-20 alternatives (PP or PU), but M1 AFE gets the job done fine albeit slightly more noisily. We're using it in the TL with no issues.

Last edited:
I use the 0-20 version in my Duratechs, and after 10K OCIs the oil stil looks very good. Engines are very quite as well and clean as new through the oil fill hole.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I JUST mailed a sample of M1 0W30 AFE from my wife's '05 xB today, with a hair under 8K on it, I'll be posting it when I get the results in a few days.

Do you know if it's the SN version?

Not sure if the OP's 04 Matrix has an OLM, but if so I'd go by that. Still, getting at least 1 UOA do to confirm how it held up or see the engines conditions at least, is what I'd do to get a standard established on how the OLM works in his app.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I JUST mailed a sample of M1 0W30 AFE from my wife's '05 xB today, with a hair under 8K on it, I'll be posting it when I get the results in a few days.

Do you know if it's the SN version?

I`m hoping the "SN" version is just as good as the "SM" stuff was.

Is this M1 AFE 0w-30 supposed to be better than regular M1 5w-30 ?
I am confused since the new one is certified for A5, SN, GF-5 like the 5w-30, except the 5w-30 also has dexos1 and HTO-06.
The 5w-30 also has higher flash point and higher HTHS.

However, the Mobil 1 label shows seems AFE protect better on high temperature than regular M1.
Does the higher sulphated ash of 0w-30 means stronger add pack ?

Based on some reading, it seems dexos1 and HTO-06 viscosity supposedly only 5w-30, so that definitely will makes AFE does not qualify.

Interestingly, AFE also has lower Zinc and Phosphorus as well as not Corvette approved.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

Still wondering why M1 mentioned AFE protect better on high temperature if the common characteristics tends to show otherwise.
confused.gif

SN is better than SM.

A Mobil rep in National Lubes mag said the AFE oils are on the level of EP in terms of high temperature protection, which means they are a tad better than the already very good regular M1. I found that interesting. Both the 0w20 and 0w30 were on the GM approval for 4718M spec..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back