Brand New Dodge Ram Hemi, when to change oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
440MagnumAnd for the OP... go ahead and change the oil. Its NEVER too early to dump the break-in fill and put a new filter on there to catch the rest of the junk. [/quote said:
+1 With sand used for casting the block, metal filings etc. from machining the block, and wear metals shed from breaking in the engine, I'd dump it early. This horse has been beaten to death here, and the nay sayers will state engines live long lives not dumping the oil early. Take your pick. I dump it early.

I have the 2010 Hemi. I always change the oil on my new vehicles at a much shorter interval than recommended in the manual.

Probably do not need to but with all the wear that goes on when it is breaking in I feel better changing it at a short interval.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

+1 With sand used for casting the block, metal filings etc. from machining the block, and wear metals shed from breaking in the engine,

Sand and metal filings, really? If your brand new engine contains either of those, you have got problems that dumping the oil early will hardly resolve.

Originally Posted By: sentra
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

+1 With sand used for casting the block, metal filings etc. from machining the block, and wear metals shed from breaking in the engine,

Sand and metal filings, really? If your brand new engine contains either of those, you have got problems that dumping the oil early will hardly resolve.

Ever watch how a block is cast? Some of the newer engines are not using freeze out plugs making cleaning after the engine is cast more difficult. In fact the first run of the 3.6 Penastar engines had some cleaning issues because they don't have freeze out plugs. Fortunately the problem was caught early on. As a new engine is first run it sheds wear metals. Perhaps you didn't like the word filings but I can tell you new engines shed metal, just have a look at the UOA section. For about $20 for oil and a filter I'll drop it early.

I went in to have a snapless tonneau cover installed, and went ahead and used that free oil and filter change coupon I had. So at 300 miles on the odo, it got fresh PYB poured in along with a Mopar oil filter. I will run this until 1k miles, maybe use PYB again with a Wix filter, then hit my 4k or 5k intervals with synthetic.

Now I am trying to decide: Mobil 1, Penzoil ultra, or Castrol Syntech oil for either 4k or 5k oil change intervals.

I was not too big of a fan of the Penzoil Ultra in my wifes 2006 Xterra. Seems like the engine was noisier. I know that isn't a good way to judge oil, but it just bothered me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JasonK94Z

I was not too big of a fan of the Penzoil Ultra in my wifes 2006 Xterra. Seems like the engine was noisier. I know that isn't a good way to judge oil, but it just bothered me.

Other people have made similar remarks on the board about Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 in the thinner grades.
I'm wondering if I should go one grade up when switching to synthetic to avoid the synthetic noise syndrome.

Originally Posted By: JasonK94Z
I went in to have a snapless tonneau cover installed, and went ahead and used that free oil and filter change coupon I had. So at 300 miles on the odo, it got fresh PYB poured in along with a Mopar oil filter. I will run this until 1k miles, maybe use PYB again with a Wix filter, then hit my 4k or 5k intervals with synthetic.

Now I am trying to decide: Mobil 1, Penzoil ultra, or Castrol Syntech oil for either 4k or 5k oil change intervals.

Ya also gave up the factory filter-which in some cases is a far better filter than you can every buy..

It's freeze plugs--not freeze out plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back