Oil for 2007 Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine has a 2007 Honda Accord and I check her oil for her. It specifies 5W-20 in the manual. I presume that Mobil 1 0W-30 will work fine for keeping it up to level. She gets the oil changes down in El Monte at Bob & Steves. Any thoughts? I have some Mobil 1 0W-30 in my stash right now.

The M1 0w30 would be fine as top off oil.

It would also be fine to use as the main oil fill as well.

i have a friend with they same year civic. he has ran nothing but GTX 5/20 with 5-7k (90% highway) ocis. the car has over 200k on it and still runs perfectly. i looked in the oil fill hole and saw it was very clean considering the miles. i have asked him repeatedly if he has thought about switching to GTX high mileage and his reply is always the same "why it doesnt use any oil?"

I have tried both Castrol Syntec and Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 on my 2.4L Accord for the recommended 10,000 mile OCI. I was very happy with the wear using either (7 ppm Fe). However, I stayed with the PP due to a higher TBN after the end of the period (3.8 vs 1.9).

Don't let anyone on this board scare you from going with Honda's recommended OCI. There is ample TBN margin with a decent synthetic and a good filter (Pure One in my case).

BITOG members have had great results with 20 weight oils in Honda engines, both I4 and V6. There's really not reason to use a heavier weight oil.

Straying a bit off the OPs original question.

Any oil brand / weight (within reason) will be fine as top off, unless you need to add more then a quart per OCI. A little here or there is fine. Use up that 0w30 stash.

The 0W-30 will be fine to use, and I'd use it if working from a stash. If buying oil, I don't see a reason to use anything other than 0W-/5W-20 in this case, depending on your preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back