Anybody riding a folding bike - I'm thinking about

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking at these folding bikes with like 20" tires. Dahon seems to be the big brand but there are others.

Have any of you spent much time on a folder or know of anyone riding one. (I'm thinking for short trips around town like no more than 10-15 miles)

BTW, I'm 6'1" and on the down hill side of middle age - so a bit concerned about the sizing and fit.

Last edited:
they are much better now than years ago; my parents had some from the late '80's that were ok for camping trips but not much else.

I had one two years ago (Dahon, forgot the model). Handy for simple transportation - but not pleasant to ride at all. Because they have almost no rake they tend to be unstable and must constantly be steered. Bumps can cause directional instability.

If you need to get into town from a boat at a marina it can be great. But if you are looking for pleasant exercise you might want to look elsewhere.

My experience mirrors Frbl's.

I bought a Dahon Boardwalk 1 several years ago for meeting a buddy to carpool to work. It did OK, but with only one non-optimized speed it was both slow at full bore and difficult to get going from a stop, cheaply built (bottom bracket had the crummiest ball bearings in it known to man), flimsy & frankly a terrible ride. The seatpost & handlebars were on very long extension tubes which added to the flimsy feel. Tires wore out quickly and allowed any moderately dull piece of road trash to puncture the innertube before I replaced them with quality tires and Slime liners - never a flat afterwards.

I would say it was worth the $200 I paid for it and I enjoyed being able to commute without needing my car but I probably wouldn't get one again.

My brother and his wife bought very nice (and expensive) Bike Friday folders which are far nicer. But for very limited use also not necessarily worth the cost IMO. I would definitely ride one before you buy it.

Is there a specific reason that you want a folding bike (like traveling with it or putting it in a boat or something)?

If so, they certainly make sense. Otherwise, I'd say 'get a full size bike'. I've ridden what generally considered the two best folders available, a Moulton and a race-ready Bike Friday. They were great for what they were, but they were still lame compared to a bike with big wheels. The small wheels just feel funny, even on expensive bikes which are meant to minimize the negative effects of small wheels (hard ride/twitchy handling).

Fit and sizing isn't an issue. Handling and comfort are an issue. It's just hard to beat big wheels.

Ritchey makes a quality, 700c wheeled, full size, folding road bike.
NOT exactly the cheapest thing ever, but a very good folding bike.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back