Zinc..........1031..........1486
Sulfer........2222..........3926
Molybdenum...75...........106

Fuel........... Water........... Glycol......... Visc @ 40....52.9........51.21
Visc @ 100....9.8.........9.51
VI.............173.........172
TAN...........3.32........3.79
Nitration.......---........95

I bought this oil before M1 0w-20 came on the market. I finally got around to trying it. Synergyn 0w-20 has ester, diester, and PAO basestocks. The lab flagged TAN as elevated. Wearcheck's cutoff for TAN in gasoline engines is 3.5. Gas mileage was the same with the two oils and oil consumption was slightly higher with the Synergyn than the M1.

Nice numbers with great consistancy. Either oil works. Pretty high zinc numbers-all of that zinc may not be necessary. You might be better off with Mobil 1.

Before the M1 0w-20 I ran another M1 0w-20, before that M1 5w-30, before that M1 0w-30, before that the factory fill 5w-20.

Not alot of difference in these two oils when looking at wear rates. I'd suspect the lead increase may be a result of the high silicon values. Synergy isn't stingy with the additives. This showed on the VOA section too. Have heard this stuff does cost considerably more than M1 and if so, I'd stick with the M1. Wonder what the TBN looked like of the two.

The main weakness of the Synergyn 0w-20, I think, is TBN retention, surprisingly enough. TooSlick discovered this in his Toyota truck as well.

I agree that for price/performance, it's a poor value--at least based on this one run, which may be unfair.

I changed oil filters because the WIX that I was using increased in price from $7 to $12 locally. I found that I had a M1 filter in the back of my cabinet that I hadn't used. I'm using the former OEM Union Sangyo filter now that I bought for $3.50.

[ August 06, 2004, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Jay ]

great info Jay, it looks like a dead heat IMO, Mobil1 has slightly more lead wear ,Synergyn has more copper, rest is pretty much identical. No real big difference either way in terms of wear. Mobil1 has a tad bit more visc. but no huge diff. once again.

Both oils look really good for 7000+ miles, great oils IMO. I'm not dissapointed with synergen as it would be pretty hard to beat the Mobil1 numbers, it looks like a great oil, well built, only drawback is that it costs more than Mobil1. Nonetheless a great comparison. good work, engine is wearing well too.

The more I think about it the more I suspect that the acid buildup in the Synergyn may have been cleaning. Diesters are excellent solvents. It's hard for me to believe that the previous runs of M1 left deposits, but it's also hard to believe that Synergyn, whose TBN starts at 9.3, is used up at ~5kmi to 6kmi in my engine. It would probably take a 2nd run of it to find out for sure.

I'm pleased with the silicon number. Virgin Synergyn 0w-20 has 6ppm silicon so my oiled-foam air filter is working well.

It will be interesting when we start seeing repeted synergyn UOAs. Its not really a fair comparison when the m1 had been ran a few times before. Its interesting how similar the add packs are between the two oils though.

I will have a uoa pretty soon of my second run on synergyn.

Thanks Jay!

What I find really interesting is that BOTH oils thickened out of grade into the low 30 wt. range. I realize % wise this really isnn't a big deal, but I get the feeling if this had been Amsoil in there that thickened there would would have been 10 posts bashing the oil for straying out of grade. Why the double standard?
rolleyes.gif

Why the double standard?

Because Amsiol folks run around beating the drum like they were Amway sales people - so reasonable people poke fun at them every chance they get.

Simple as that.

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:
Why the double standard?

Because Amsiol folks run around beating the drum like they were Amway sales people - so reasonable people poke fun at them every chance they get.

Simple as that.

Well said.

"Reasonable" people should be intelligent enough to realize that most of the Amsoil folks here are extremely objective compared to the Amsoil average rep out there. Amsoil certainly has it's weaknesses but it sure seems other oils aren't held to the same standard. Too bad, for the most part this forum is surprising objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back