Synergyn 0w20, K20A3, 5500 miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvl

This is my first UOA, so please bear with me. My car is an 03 Honda Civic Si with approx. 10,000 miles on it at the time of the oil change. I have a higher redline than stock, use only 93 octane gas, and have an aftermarket CAI that was on the car for about half of the OCI. The UOA was done by Schaeffer.

Cu 2
Fe 10
Cr 0
Al 6
Pb 1
Mb 100
P 1254
Zn 1355
Mg 36
Ca 3164
Antifreeze 0.0
Fuel No
Water 0.2% (only abnormal number)
Si 8
Viscosity 10.38 (lists as 30W)
Sulfer 0%
Oxidation 29%
Nitration 6%

I use my car for either short trips (5-15 minutes in the city) or for long distance driving. I used about 1.5qts of oil during that time.

I'm currently running GC and haven't noticed any oil usage yet.

Nice report! I'm highly considering using Synergyn in my next car/truck. I like the high levels of ZDP. Their oils look similar to M1 only with more ZDP.

I thought that it was odd that the oil thickened up to a 30wt and that I burned through 1.5 bottles of it over the 5500 miles. Does that mean that the NOACK is pretty bad on this oil?

quote:

Originally posted by cvl:

Does that mean that the NOACK is pretty bad on this oil?

Nope . Need more info . How many months was the oil in use and was a dino used previously ?

Was the engine ran pretty hard at times ? Even if it was not you can't beat near zero lead and the low , low iron .

The viscosity is suspect as is the water, or nitration/oxidation . One of the four since it consumed some oil yet still shows a vi increase .

It is difficult to get a good look at an oil ran only one time . Trend , trend , trend
smile.gif

EDIT :

Note the high ester oil with moly did not bump the copper up

[ August 03, 2004, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

That wear looks great. I've got to try the Synergyn. Motorbike, you seem to have the most experience with it. Any idea what the percentage of ester is in the 3w30 and what do you think about a LC add? Looking at how it thickened a bit, I may want try LC to control oxidation. That is if the #s are right.

Your report (wear) looks good - the water could be sampling technique.

TBN? Na? K?

Just curious - does this oil claim "API SL" and what does your owner's manual say?

No comment on any additives other than IMO it's very important to try the engine oil on it's own ...first .

Each engine and driving conditions will treat an oil different . The 3w-30 through my testing was very stable even when oil temps reached over 250F for sustained periods at hi-rpm .

Within a month back to back analysis's of the Synergyn 3w-30 and 5w-30 in the same engine will be posted . It's too early to tell but I think the 3w-30 will prove to be the winner in this 3 quart motor and thats not to say in a larger engine with a larger sump thats not hard on oil that the 5w-30 won't be the ticket .

My opinion is to see for yourself in your engine and how it's driven before trying additves in this oil . Otherwise you'll not be able to directly compare any results .

I'm not so certain the above engine just got it'self a good cleaning with the 0w-20 IF the lab is not in error on the visosity .If this were my sample I'd call and ask for a rerun .

I sent the 7.2 cST Torco 20wt to a lab for a VOA . It came back as a 40wt . They still had the sample and a rerun showed it's correct vi .

[ August 03, 2004, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

I think that pablo might be right about the sampling technique. I just remembered that I sampled it correctly, but went out of town and didn't send it into the lab for 2 weeks. It was sealed in its little container, but maybe it absorbed the water from the little bit of air that was sealed in there?

The car is definitely run hard at times. I had run the factory fill dino oil for about 4500 miles, switched to GC for about 200 miles (if felt very thick) and then went with the Synergyn. I liked the Synergyn except for the oil consumption.

I've gone back to the GC and have zero oil consumption after about 2000 miles on it.

As for Na, TBN, etc. Schaeffer must not test for them. Kinda sucks.

You get more combustion byproducts blowing by the pistons in a new engine, which causes the oil to thicken. The baseline viscosity of this stuff is approx 9 Cst, so it really hasn't thickened that much.

These are excellent results for a new Honda motor ...iron in particular is very low.

TS

Schaeffer went ahead and ran the other stuff for free since it was my first time using them.

Na 9
K 2
TBN 8.68

The overall numbers look okay, but I was going to say that the iron levels appeared a bit high on this sample. I've got a few UOA's on here on my k20a3 and Jay has some posted as well. I would say your iron is higher than what I saw on my engine.

If you are running higher redline than stock I would seriously recommend 5w-30 or 10w-30 oil. I think it will be good insurance for the higher revs, much like the RSX-S K20a2 engine uses.

Si isnt too bad considering you are running that cold air intake, Synergen probably has some Si in virgin form, so you havent added too much Si to the sample from the intake as far as I can tell.

quote:

Originally posted by Idrinkmotoroil:
The overall numbers look okay, but I was going to say that the iron levels appeared a bit high on this sample. I've got a few UOA's on here on my k20a3 and Jay has some posted as well. I would say your iron is higher than what I saw on my engine.

If you are running higher redline than stock I would seriously recommend 5w-30 or 10w-30 oil. I think it will be good insurance for the higher revs, much like the RSX-S K20a2 engine uses.

Si isnt too bad considering you are running that cold air intake, Synergen probably has some Si in virgin form, so you havent added too much Si to the sample from the intake as far as I can tell.

Agreed. I'm running GC right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back