GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado - +07 with the 4.8/5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at the GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado 1500 Chasis in the newer body style beginning in late 2007 and newer. I'm interested in the Crew Cab but am also contemplating the Extended Cab. My brother has the Crew Cab Sierra and it works great for him and I expect would do the same for me. However, I do not have the money for a Crew and am not ruling out the extended cab.

A little about how I would use this truck, not very hard. 4WD would be preferable but not essential. Towing capacity would not be a factor as the small 5X8 trailer I have would not bind the 4.8 or 5.3 down. I'm looking a DURABLE, LONG-LASTING TRUCK. With the family beginning, this very well may be my last truck for a while.

I've read where the 5.3 and 4.8 motors get reasonably the same MPG and I've dove into the fact sheets about horsepower and torque between the two. But what I'm looking for here at BITOG, is a non-biased, professional opinion on these two motors. There are many opinions out there that say you may as well get the 5.3 if the MPG are the same and I concurr; however, they don't balance my checkbook. I am a responsible and prudent adult. If the 4.8 would serve me just as good, great.

What is the longetivity aspects of these two "trucks" with each respective motor with the mentality of a fellow BITOG about maintenance?

Which truck will serve me for years to come?

I should mention that the local Chevrolet dealership has a "special" on a brand new Silverado, Extended Cab, which I assume is 2WD with the 4.8 and the LS model, basically a step up from the base model with keyless, power windows, power locks advertised for around $22,000 and change.

My FIL has a 2004 4.8 Extended Cab Silverado 2WD. The 4.8 V-8 pulls like a freight train - seriously, I have no idea why you would need a larger engine in the truck - the 4.8 is a powerhouse.

A brand-new 4.8 2WD Silverado for $22k sounds like a bargain - I don't think you'd regret it.

Originally Posted By: 229
I would not want the 5.3L if it had the variable displacement.

Why not?

My '07 Tahoe had it. The AFM (active fuel management) was virtually seamless. It was almost impossible to tell when it switched from 4-8 cylinders.

At 90K miles the 5.3 was running like a top. No reason to expect it wouldn't be the same at 200K.

The 5.3 is comparable to the Dodge 4.7 in HP/torque (315/335 for the Chevy 5.3, 310/330 for the Dodge 4.7) and, IMO, is really the entry-level v8 for the Chevy half-ton truck. I wouldn't bother with the Chevy 4.8 at all, you would wind up wishing you had more power.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
My FIL has a 2004 4.8 Extended Cab Silverado 2WD. The 4.8 V-8 pulls like a freight train - seriously, I have no idea why you would need a larger engine in the truck - the 4.8 is a powerhouse.

A brand-new 4.8 2WD Silverado for $22k sounds like a bargain - I don't think you'd regret it.

+1

The 4.8 has been a great motor for me.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan

My '07 Tahoe had it. The AFM (active fuel management) was virtually seamless. It was almost impossible to tell when it switched from 4-8 cylinders.

At 90K miles the 5.3 was running like a top. No reason to expect it wouldn't be the same at 200K.

My brother's active fuel management is very smooth as well. Do you really think it saves enough gas to justify it? His is flipping back to V8 with the mildest of cause. It doesn't seem it stays in 4-Cylinder mode to save enough money and we live in the Coastal Plain of North Carolina. Not as flat as a desert but by no means demanding enough to cause, IMO, the truck to switch back and forth so much.

Also, do you see the active fuel management system holding up for 10, 15, 20 years. I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just thinking out loud...

If all you are doing is hauling people and pulling a small trailer the 4.8L V8 will be just fine even in a 4wd. I know someone who has a 2011 CC GMC with that engine and he likes it + got a fantastic deal on the SLE 4x4. One thing though, the 4.8L comes with the 4sp auto trans, the 6sp is extra so lots of times the deals are on a 4sp trans equipped truck. Nothing wrong with the 4sp AT but the 6 sp will give your a better mileage on the hwy. The advantage with the 4.8L is no active fuel management so less things to become problems 10 yrs down the road. Lots of TSB's on Active Fuel Management engines as they add complexity to the engines with 8 special valve lifters.

You don't need a 4x4 in NC so save your money. Anywhere its not winter 1/2 the year a 4x4 is just a status symbol anyway.

I got the AFM on my 5.3L GMC and I don't see any mpg savings. In 15,000 miles my average mpg is 17.5 and with my 2004 GMC equipped the same less the AFM and that was 17.6 over 50,000 miles. If someone were to give me the choice tomorrow the turn it off I would do it in a instant as I really don't like it.

Good friend is in service management at a local GMC dealer (sell 500 GMC's a year) and he told me recently they are replacing AFM lifters at the rate of 1 engine a week even on 2010 engines.

I have an 08 Silverado 1500. Its a crew-cab. 4wd, Z-71. Love the truck, love the engine, HATE the gas mileage. I don't know what other comaparable trucks get, but mine averages somewhere around 14 mpg, with 75% city driving. I would think it should be somewhere around 18. Maybe not.

That's about what you can expect with a truck in stop and going driving. Its take lots of fuel to move 5,000 lbs of iron in stop and go traffic, much easier when you can cruise at a steady speed on level roads.

You might get 18 with 75% highway driving.

The issues I've seen with AFM have to do with changing the oil as the Oil life monitor suggests. If you go over 4k miles, get ready to have problems. For whatever reason AFM is hard on oil, and the OLM doesn't pick it up.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
If all you are doing is hauling people and pulling a small trailer the 4.8L V8 will be just fine even in a 4wd. I know someone who has a 2011 CC GMC with that engine and he likes it + got a fantastic deal on the SLE 4x4. One thing though, the 4.8L comes with the 4sp auto trans, the 6sp is extra so lots of times the deals are on a 4sp trans equipped truck. Nothing wrong with the 4sp AT but the 6 sp will give your a better mileage on the hwy. The advantage with the 4.8L is no active fuel management so less things to become problems 10 yrs down the road. Lots of TSB's on Active Fuel Management engines as they add complexity to the engines with 8 special valve lifters.

The 6sp would be prefereable for highway cruising. Has anyone seen the 4.8 with a 6sp tranny?

Originally Posted By: MrCritical

The issues I've seen with AFM have to do with changing the oil as the Oil life monitor suggests. If you go over 4k miles, get ready to have problems. For whatever reason AFM is hard on oil, and the OLM doesn't pick it up.

Interesting...

After reading all the posts, let me just say this:

1.) Skip the 4.8 if at all possible. Not that it's a bad engine, it's a good engine. The reason is simple - the 5.3 delivers plenty more power and torque and gets BETTER fuel economy. Yes, that is true. Not a lot better, but better and with more power is a winning hand.

2.) Ignore the AFM comments, the system is reliable and works seamlessly..you don't even know its working unless you look at the dash display. This is not the same system as the old 1981 era Cadil1ac V8-6-4.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical

I'm not buying it. I know a handful of guys with 5.3s that have the AFM and none of them are having any issues with their vehicles.

I changed the oil in my Tahoe per the OLM and it generally went about 6500 miles per change. At 90K miles it never used any oil that I could detect,and like I said,it ran like a top.

Lets see,a dozen oil changes that typically went 50% longer than your 4000 mile claim with no issues. When exactly was I going to run into these problems?

Buy that new special your dealer has, that's a good deal! That's a lot of truck for $22k, you can get 10-15 years out of it easy if you take care of it. Since your in NC rust isn't an issue so it should hold up pretty good.

The 4.8 is plenty of motor for what your doing, heck the 4.3 would be too. Skip 4wd if you don't need it, it just adds complexity and reduces fuel mileage.

Forgot to mention, mine is the 5.3. Never have had a problem with it, has 55K miles, and Im running QSUD. Like a few said earlier, the AFM isn't even noticeable. I used to watch it when I first got the truck - Yeah, you would see see it kick down to 4 cylinders, usually when going down a hill, or coasting for a long ways. Thought it was kind of cool but, seems kind of useless. By the way, does anyone know how to "shut off" the AFM feature?

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

1.) Skip the 4.8 if at all possible. Not that it's a bad engine, it's a good engine. The reason is simple - the 5.3 delivers plenty more power and torque and gets BETTER fuel economy. Yes, that is true. Not a lot better, but better and with more power is a winning hand.

2.) Ignore the AFM comments, the system is reliable and works seamlessly..you don't even know its working unless you look at the dash display. This is not the same system as the old 1981 era Cadil1ac V8-6-4.

01.gif

I had one of the new body style 2007 Silverado's(GMT900). It was a 1500 Extended Cab 4WD w/ 5.3L( w/ AFM ). It was also a 1LT with the Z71 package. It was a very nice truck. No mechanical issues and the AFM was seamless unlike MDS in my Dodge Ram. You absolutely could not tell when it was on/off unless you had the DIC on to tell you. The only thing I did not like was the seat fabric as it was a lint magnet. You couldn't clean it so with such dark material they always looked dirty and my vehicles are kept spotless. Seat covers solved it. If the only gripe you have is seat material I would say that is a good indication it is a good vehicle.

I also agree wholeheartedly that it makes little sense to get a 4.8L. MPG is as good or better with the 5.3L and the more power in a full sized truck the better. As said ^^^ it isn't that the 4.8L is a bad motor or anything but the 5.3L is more appropriate for a big heavy truck.

If the OP wanted a regular cab, 2WD, model and he never pulled or hauled anything the 4.8L would be ok. However, he wants either an EC or a CC and he will use the truck like a truck at times. He also wants 4WD if possible. 5.3L is the only option of the 2 motors IMO.

To the OP;

Crew Cabs Pro's...

1 - You have independant access to the rear seat. No need to open the front door.
2 - More room in the rear if you will ever have passengers.

Crew Cab Con's...

1 - much higher cost
2 - loss of bed space

I have had Quad Cab( Crew Cab )Rams and Extended Cab Silverados and both are ok. I prefer a true 4 door but the Silverados with the Ext Cab did the job just fine. I really liked the NBS 2007 Silverado with the way GM redesigned the doors to allow them to open fully over to the bed giving you some real access to the rear seat area. On my 05 Silverado the rear doors only open part way and you can get trapped between the doors if parked next to a vehicle or building.

I also liked how they made the rear windows operate the same as regular windows. No more camper type pop out windows like my 05 EC Silverado had. You had to open the rear door to open those windows. On the new model you use a switch like a regular window. BIG improvement.

The NBS 2007+ GM Trucks(GMT900's)are really nice. I think you will like it a lot. I just truly believe it is worth the extra $$$ to get one with a 5.3L. Do a compromise. Spend a little more for the 5.3L but save some $$$ by getting an Extended Cab instead of the Crew Cab.

Good luck.

My 2007...
IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

01.gif

I had one of the new body style 2007 Silverado's(GMT900). It was a 1500 Extended Cab 4WD w/ 5.3L( w/ AFM ). It was also a 1LT with the Z71 package. It was a very nice truck. No mechanical issues and the AFM was seamless unlike MDS in my Dodge Ram. You absolutely could not tell when it was on/off unless you had the DIC on to tell you. The only thing I did not like was the seat fabric as it was a lint magnet. You couldn't clean it so with such dark material they always looked dirty and my vehicles are kept spotless. Seat covers solved it. If the only gripe you have is seat material I would say that is a good indication it is a good vehicle.

I also agree wholeheartedly that it makes little sense to get a 4.8L. MPG is as good or better with the 5.3L and the more power in a full sized truck the better. As said ^^^ it isn't that the 4.8L is a bad motor or anything but the 5.3L is more appropriate for a big heavy truck.

If the OP wanted a regular cab, 2WD, model and he never pulled or hauled anything the 4.8L would be ok. However, he wants either an EC or a CC and he will use the truck like a truck at times. He also wants 4WD if possible. 5.3L is the only option of the 2 motors IMO.

To the OP;

Crew Cabs Pro's...

1 - You have independant access to the rear seat. No need to open the front door.
2 - More room in the rear if you will ever have passengers.

Crew Cab Con's...

1 - much higher cost
2 - loss of bed space

I have had Quad Cab( Crew Cab )Rams and Extended Cab Silverados and both are ok. I prefer a true 4 door but the Silverados with the Ext Cab did the job just fine. I really liked the NBS 2007 Silverado with the way GM redesigned the doors to allow them to open fully over to the bed giving you some real access to the rear seat area. On my 05 Silverado the rear doors only open part way and you can get trapped between the doors if parked next to a vehicle or building.

I also liked how they made the rear windows operate the same as regular windows. No more camper type pop out windows like my 05 EC Silverado had. You had to open the rear door to open those windows. On the new model you use a switch like a regular window. BIG improvement.

The NBS 2007+ GM Trucks(GMT900's)are really nice. I think you will like it a lot. I just truly believe it is worth the extra $$$ to get one with a 5.3L. Do a compromise. Spend a little more for the 5.3L but save some $$$ by getting an Extended Cab instead of the Crew Cab.

Good luck.

My 2007...
IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

Excellent writeup, I agree 100%. Nice truck, too. That color is nice and you don't see many at all.

A co-worker has an '09 Silverado and we have a '10 Silverado at work as a work truck. His '09 is a fully-loaded crew cab Z71. The '10 is a short bed, short cab, 4x4 work truck. Both have the 5.3L. The '10 short bed is a rocket with that engine. The '09 is dragged down much more with the additional weight of the larger truck.

Based on driving them both, I'd vote for the 5.3L also if you plan to get anything other than a short bed, short cab truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back