Pro-King or Wix or Dealer ATF filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first choice was pro-king from AAP, since I bought every tune up and use discount code at same time, but I heard it made in china, wix is good, but its kinda far from me, and dealer filter, I bet it 50+ dollar. Will pro-King filter with advance auto part atf+4 be ok for every 2 year change ? mabe 20k miles. btw its for 2000 jeep GC 4.0L 4x4

Last edited:
I wouldn't use a junky filter on something so expensive to repair.

Is it absolutely necessary to change the filter? If your trans is creating enough debris to clog the filter you've got much more serious problems.

Not a "junky filter". Been using them for years with absolutely no problems. Now even a better deal when combined with some ATF and a 40% off coupon code. Is a Wix or dealer Filtran-made one better? Perhaps, but not significantly so. If you really want better filtration, then add an inline filter to the cooler return line. That's a REAL step up in filtration. Every 2 years is fine. AAP ATF+4 is fine and just as good as the next licensed fluid IMO.

There is alot of knowledgeable people on this site. On transmission filters is there a difference in the quality of the filters or are they all built to the same specs. I have a change coming up on my rav4 and am a little confused on using oem which are expensive or aftermarket such as wix or the chain stores home brand. Knowledgeable people chime in please

Originally Posted By: LC4RN8
I wouldn't use a junky filter on something so expensive to repair.

Is it absolutely necessary to change the filter? If your trans is creating enough debris to clog the filter you've got much more serious problems.

are u prevert pro king as yunky filter ?
Originally Posted By: bruckus
There is alot of knowledgeable people on this site. On transmission filters is there a difference in the quality of the filters or are they all built to the same specs. I have a change coming up on my rav4 and am a little confused on using oem which are expensive or aftermarket such as wix or the chain stores home brand. Knowledgeable people chime in please

I know wix is good, everything made out by WIX is good. I need more info on that Pro-King from advance auto part though.

Originally Posted By: bruckus
There is alot of knowledgeable people on this site. On transmission filters is there a difference in the quality of the filters or are they all built to the same specs.

First, I will excuse myself from your first assertion.

Next, beyond speculation, we have NO idea if a China made filter is as good as a U.S. made one. How do we know if the media is the same....we don't. Construction and fit?.....we don't know.

For my Caravan, the Car Quest Filtran is made in China, the dealer Filtran is made in the U.S. and cost about 10 dollars more.

The same people that say the China trans. filter worked just fine compared to the OEM will turn around and not use a Fram oil filter, even though after an OCI, it too would "appear" to have worked fine. One set of standards to measure performance of the oil filter, another set for the tranny filter.

I'm NOT saying the China filters are no good. I'm just saying we have NO idea on their performance vs. an OEM. The tranny not exploding is not a good measure.

C'm on guys, a 100 micron Chinese-made filter or a 100 micron US-made filter for 2 to 3X more? You do the math. These filters see no pressure and are dimensionally the same. Yes, I like to buy made in USA, but not for 3X more money and twice the inconvenience to find (in my case).

for me..tranny filters aren't a big concern, it's the gasket type that I concentrate on. I'm anti-cork.
Wix used to supply ONLY cork gaskets. I used a carquest brand a long long time ago, and it wasn't cork, and i didn't have a leak, I realized carquest parts weren't up to par, so I found the ATP brand and loved the gasket! I've been using ATP ever since.
it's like a cork/rubber type of paper material, it's flexes and doesn't leak! Wix's now come with the same type of gasket now.. if you see a Wix cork gasket, that box has been on the shelf for a long while.
the filter material seemed the same to me no matter which brand I looked at, and I realized that it didn't matter as much to me vs. potential leaking.

usually I get whatever autozone has (usually their duralast brand) the gaskets have been the good rubber ones with slightly undersized bolts holes.

I decided to go for a wix since it was cheaper for my tuck. It came with a rubber gasket.

cork sucks. I'm glad they are getting rid of it.

The transmission filter you're replacing barely does anything. The pores in it are so huge that it only filters huge particles. It's also an extremely simple design and it would be very hard for any company to make a poorly designed model. I am not entirely sure why manufacturers even recommend replacing it (and not all manufacturers do).

cork gasket ? what it look like ? so I can prevent from buying it. any one here using some black rtv on pan and on gasket ?

I'm not sure about which AT filter is better, but I would much rather have an OE pan gasket than anything else. They always last longer.

And about cork. It looks like a wine cork was unfolded into the shape of a gasket. Don't use it, they don't last.

AT filters probably vary by application. I just compared two filters for a Vibe--Beck Arnley and ATP. Both were made in Taiwan and had the same numbers on the plastic top side. Metal side numbers were different. Beck had a rubber gasket while ATP had their black fiber gasket plus a new drain plug washer. The Beck had a strange crease in the media, so I returned it for the ATP. I'm 99% sure this is the same filter boxed by different suppliers.

Both of these filters are in the 15-20 dollar range from Rockauto. Wix is close, but the photos showed a cork filter. There is an AC Delco for 60 or 80 dollars.

I've used a couple pro-kings on 4t60 apps. Biggest thing is getting them seated right-- operator error.

One trans I brought back from the dead-- a bad modulator lead to slipping clutches and tons of grey silt all on the pan and in the filter. Old filter was super heavy even after draining the fluid. They do some good.

If you have a stock gasket that's in good shape you often want to stay with it; it'll be better engineered than the stamped rubber folded all up in the box. Mopar uses RTV, IIRC. Maybe your box will come with a tube of it.

Dont know how much it would be for, make a drain plug on factory pan. Imma call the machine shop next time im getting the pan off. see how much they charge for drain plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back