Moving into mobile home friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys and gals I will be moving into my first ever mobile home this friday. I was wanting to know what cons I might expect moving from a house to a mobile home. Any advice?

in kansas i have seen first hand what a tornado does to mobile homes. DO get an underground shelter. i dont care where you live

Originally Posted By: morris
in kansas i have seen first hand what a tornado does to mobile homes. DO get an underground shelter. i dont care where you live

Except in P-cola...where anything dug in the ground become a pool...

Also, if I might add, make sure that the Mobile home is "anchored" down with very deep steel rods and concrete.

Originally Posted By: DreamerGT
tornado emergency plan

We never get toronadoes in pcola. Mainly lightening and hurricanes. Any tips as far as central air/heating go? Is the insulation as good as a house or apartment?

Also there are window units in there alongside central heating/air. Should I just use the window units as much as possible and rarely use central ac?

obnoxious park rules and speeding tickets from the landlord!

The insulation is okay; they use more foam, reflective tinfoil, and "crazy expanding foam". But they still can collect heat in the mid summer like a car with its windows up. Would be slightly better on a slab than on axles.

Originally Posted By: Rtstrider
I was wanting to know what cons I might expect moving from a house to a mobile home. Any advice?

My mother in law had one that was new in 2002, she passed away in 2006 and we sold it in 2007 after the estate was settled. I did most of the maintenance for her.

From my observations, the build quality was far different and quite substandard to a stick built home. Everything seemed to be "cheap" and felt that way, even when they tried to use upscale materials. The door knobs on the closet doors were plastic, the insulation was marginal on a -20 day, and the exterior doors always felt like they'd pop open if you leaned on them hard enough. Nothing we replaced or repaired was standard home size-most things had to be purchased from a mobile home dealer.

The furnace, since it was centrally located and directly inside the main living area was loud when it ran, and in the winter it seemed to run all the time. Even though the central air unit was outside, the blower on the furnace still made running the AC loud during the summer. Servicing the furnace every year was a real treat since it was stuffed into a tiny closet, and everything was designed for a mobile home rather than a traditional home.

No matter how well tied down and supported it was, you could always feel the entire mobile home shake when the washer spun at high speed or became unbalanced.

I wasn't surprised when we sold it that it had depreciated significantly even though it was in good condition and in an upscale park. Mobile homes, at least in this area, simply don't hold their value like a traditional home.

That being said, it was a good choice for her final years. It was easy to clean, all on one level, and the park had a very nice rec building that the seniors liked. Taxes were cheap and utilities were reasonable. The park had some strict rules which kept the riff raff out.

Just list me as a beneficiary on your life insurance policy.
grin2.gif
Just kidding. A lot of folks live in mobile homes. I see nothing wrong with it if it's a nice home in a good location.

I am an amateur meteorologist who is tracking the strength of tornado activity by trailer park locations by measuring the height of the debris cloud. .

Mobile homes are nice, but I agree, get a storm shelter. My Town House in Iowa has no basement or storm shelter and I regret not getting one when theres a tornado by my house a 2AM

Your in FL, when a hurricane is heading your way get out, trying to ride one out inside would be suicide.

Actually from what I have seen of typical FL construction methods riding one out in any structure would be iffy at best.

What year model is your new mobil home? Mine is a 1988. I hope yours is newer than mine. Double wide or single? Mine is double. Floor plates are securely attached with large lag bolts but marriage line on the floor is not exactly aligned. Mine is too big, 1900sf. Last two electric bills were $190. Next one will be more due to August highs.

Custom wood, brick, block homes are much more energy efficient than trailers. Many mass produced stick houses are similar to trailers. I've seen they have thin single pane windows like my trailer.

Describe the foundation. I have metal stands on cement pads, on native sand base. Washing machine used to shake the house and back porch because gophers had disturbed the base. I adjusted cement pads, tightened metal stands, and this year added solid block piers in 6 locations where metal stands were spaced more than 8ft apart. The trailer feels great now! Washing machine doesn't shake everything and all squeeks in the floor are silenced.

I still need to fix the shaking when stopped in "D" at a red light in the Tracer.

I do the do the foundation maintenance every March/April.

If i had to guess on the year it was built i would estimate mid to late ninties. It is up on blocks. Also it uses a septic system which ive never lived somewhere that used a septic system. Is there any maintanence i need to do like use rid x?

A cat 4 hurricane came through our town a few years back and some mobile home parks were leveled. Be ready to evacuate when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back