Rotella T6 OK for Turbo Optima?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted in another thread that I was on the hunt for an oil for my turbo Optima. Kia recommends 5w-40 for the Turbo Optima. I found 5w-40 Rotella T6 at walmart today. It seems to be geared towards commercial truck use. Will this oil harm the 4 cylinder turbo in my Kia? I stumbled on a few other "turbo car forums" while investigating and several are warning about Rotella "having too much Zinc" and that "it could cause catalytic converter issues". Any thoughts? Anyone else use this oil in their "car"? It seems to be a very stout oil for turbo use. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's an API SM rated oil. As such, I doubt it would be allowed to have enough zinc to cause cat poisoning.

What oil specs does KIA require for this engine?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It's an API SM rated oil. As such, I doubt it would be allowed to have enough zinc to cause cat poisoning.

I don't think there is a limit on zinc in a 40 weight oil. Isn't it ILSAC that limits zinc/phosphorous? ILSAC doesn't apply to anything thicker than a 30 weight.

It'll be great. The oil you use won't impact catalytic converter life unless you're consuming a considerable amount of oil - and even then it must not be entirely too detrimental. Look at all the Saturns running around killing mosquitoes with original exhaust and emissions equipment! (All that oil must rust-proof it!)

If you really wanted to be safe you could also always just use Mobil 0w-40. That's a pretty good catch-all for engines such as yours.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LC4RN8

If you really wanted to be safe you could also always just use Mobil 0w-40. That's a pretty good catch-all for engines such as yours.

M1 0w-40 zinc: about 900 ppm
RT6 zinc: about 1200 ppm

IMO, the difference isn't large enough to sweat about.

KIA's specs require an API SM or higher GF-4 oil 5w-40 recommended but the manual states 5w-30 can be used. I plan on keeping the car for a while, so I want protection, not so worried about fuel mileage.

Q-Pete,
Where did you find the zinc spec for the rotella? I went onto Shell's website, but I was unable to find any specs on it. The Shell site is not very consumer friendly. Not like their Pennzoil or QS sites. I would like a spec sheet so I can compare it to Pennzoil and QS synthetics. Thanks.

I've got to say I like both of these oils a lot. I currently use the M1 0w40 but for any reason the price skyrockets and the sales deals aren't near as good, I'd have no problem going to the T6. I prefer the M1 for the higher TBN, but if I was running a more aggressive cam I would go for the T6 for the higher ZDDP.

I suppose I should've said "If you don't feel comfortable using an oil that carries a Cxxx spec in your gasoline engine you could..."

I emailed Shell and asked them about using Rotella T6 in the Optima. I would like to share the response. The Shell Chemist does NOT recommend Rotella in the Optima.

Jeff,

Shell Rotella T Full Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-40 does not meet the
requirements of ILSAC GF-4 or better. ILSAC GF-4 requires reduced
additive levels to prolong the life of catalytic converters, and the
additive loads, particularly with regard to phosphorous content, of
the Shell Rotella product are too high for the requirement.

I see that SAE 5W-30 is also acceptable for your vehicle. I
recommend FormulaShell Full Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-30, Pennzoil
Platinum Full Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-30, or Quaker State Ultimate
Durability Full Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-30 would be excellent choices
for your new Kia. (Pennzoil and Quaker State are part of the Shell
family of brands of quality automotive lubricants.) All of these
oils do meet the requirements of API SN/SM and ILSAC GF-5/-4.

Thank you for your interest in Shell Lubricants!

Regards,
Edward A. Calcote
Staff Chemist
Shell Lubricants US Technical Information Center
http://www.shell.us/lubricants

Originally Posted By: poiuy223
He didn't bother to recommend PU 5w-40?

Our local Walmart has discontinued carrying PU. I haven't seen it on the shelves for many months. And I'm not gonna pay Advanced Auto Parts a premium on a 4 qt jug of it either. I think I'm gonna go with QSUD in 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: RamAir5

Our local Walmart has discontinued carrying PU. I haven't seen it on the shelves for many months. And I'm not gonna pay Advanced Auto Parts a premium on a 4 qt jug of it either.

You're not going to find PU 5w-40 locally at any store. It's either online or go look for a local distributor.

As far as other oils that would work here and are easily available: M1 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: RamAir5

Our local Walmart has discontinued carrying PU. I haven't seen it on the shelves for many months. And I'm not gonna pay Advanced Auto Parts a premium on a 4 qt jug of it either. I think I'm gonna go with QSUD in 5w-30.

If sticking with a 30wt, that would be my choice. I'm wrestling with switching over to it in my cars. I've got a large stock of M1 5w30 and a couple changes worth of 0w40, but I doubt I'll make it a full year without changing the oil which would be a waste of the 0w40. Between the 5w30 flavors of QSUD and M1 all reports I've heard and seen in GM V8s is the QSUD has less valvetrain noise and the UOAs I've seen have been a touch better.

CJ-4 diesel engine oil has a limit of 1200 ppm of phosphorus (zinc and phosphorus are bonded together in the ZDDP).

I probably should add for that engine given the availability of T6 here I would go for it, but if you are worried about warranty issues, the QSUD.

RT6 is pretty much becoming the bang for the buck oil of choice for Subaru turbos because of the reasons you stated in the original post. I'm sure if the higher levels of zinc and phosphorus were a concern, we'd have threads about clogged cats all over bitog, the Subaru forums, the EVO forums, the Mazdaspeed forums, etc. Instead all we have are threads asking if gasoline passenger cars can run RT6.
smile.gif

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back