New 20 offerings from Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Yeah, it does.

Some would ask 'why a 5W-20 when there is a 0W-20'; BUT, when you see how stout a 5W-20 can be, it makes sense!

Agreed!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Donald

The signature series from Amsoil is the premium line. In my opinion the signature series is the only one to buy from Amsoil. While it may be the best oil available, one can buy oil locally that exceeds the other two lines. Such as PP or Mobil 1.

Thanks - I would disagree a bit. I would say XL is superior to PP and M1. OE is a close comparison, and much less expensive than M1.

5 quarts of OE is 30.50. I can get a 5 quart jug of M1 for 5 bucks cheaper... and I don't have to pay for shipping.

Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil's regular synthetic is probably of similar quality to the XL stuff.

Probably? Ok your not even close. Mobil's regular synthetic uses a group 3 hydrocracked base stock. A conventional base stock. I cannot believe anyone even buys mobil. These guys sued castrol because they labeling their oil synthetic when in truth it was a coventional basestock. Mobil lost the case so what does mobil do next. They changed their formula without telling the consumer. Now they put a lesser quality product in the same bottle. Then they come out with the EP line which was the same stuff that used to be in the bottles in the first place then charge you 4 bucks more for it. Now I wonder if they "probably"even care what's even in the bottle anymore as long as
it turned a profit. You guys use whatever you like. Personally I refuse to support a
company that shamelessly does business like that. And the xl line is a far better product then mobil 1s offering. And amsoils XL line is a true synthetic. You are actually getting what you are paying for. Do your homework. Then perhaps you can probably have a clue when making a comparison. Now the EP line from mobil is comparing apples to apples with the xl line from amsoil. And mobil doesn't even produce a consumer oil that is at par with the sso line

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil's regular synthetic is probably of similar quality to the XL stuff.

Probably? Ok your not even close. Mobil's regular synthetic uses a group 3 hydrocracked base stock. A conventional base stock. I cannot believe anyone even buys mobil. These guys sued castrol because they labeling their oil synthetic when in truth it was a coventional basestock. Mobil lost the case so what does mobil do next. They changed their formula without telling the consumer. Now they put a lesser quality product in the same bottle. Then they come out with the EP line which was the same stuff that used to be in the bottles in the first place then charge you 4 bucks more for it. Now I wonder if they "probably"even care what's even in the bottle anymore as long as it turned a profit. You guys use whatever you like. Personally I refuse to support a company that shamelessly does business like that.

Agree! I USED to be a big mobil 1 synthetic user back in the day,now you couldn't give me it for FREE,because of their [censored] they pulled.

Amsoil - top notch IMO.

Thanks drag race. Honestly its not that mobil doesnt make a good product and had they been honest or just taken the high road and said forget about the competion. Let's keep our heads held high and give the consumer what they are paying for and expecting. How about we dothe same as the competion and pull a fast one on the stupid consumer supporting us. Unreal. Nope. No mobil for me. Amsoil has been straight from the get-go. Sure it's not cheap,but compare that cost to a spun bearing or a ring job

Originally Posted By: kemo

The signature series from Amsoil is the premium line. In my opinion the signature series is the only one to buy from Amsoil. While it may be the best oil available, one can buy oil locally that exceeds the other two lines. Such as PP or Mobil 1.

Thanks - I would disagree a bit. I would say XL is superior to PP and M1. OE is a close comparison, and much less expensive than M1.

5 quarts of OE is 30.50. I can get a 5 quart jug of M1 for 5 bucks cheaper... and I don't have to pay for shipping.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

Originally Posted By: kemo

Actually 5 qts of OE is $23.50 PC and $30.50 suggested price, and 5 qts. of M1 ranges from $25 to $45+. And no need to drive to Walmart for the OE.

Clevy, glad you are happy with Amsoil. Quality oil. However you have no idea what you are talking about. Mobil is probably the most professional oil maker and marketer out there.

Amsoil is getting expensive. I like going to Walmart and grabbing a 5qt jug. Takes 10 minutes. Done.

Yeah but going to walmart 2 miles away doesn't cost $9.85 shipping for 7 quarts. Amsoil makes enough money on their oil alone that FREE shipping shouldn't hurt them a bit. Just my 2 cents and my opinion.

Personally, I'd much rather pick up Amsoil locally. The problem is the one place that's located nearby that CARRIES the product lineup, doesn't have 0w-30(or an SSO lineup 30 multi-grade PCMO) but ASM 0w20.

My local Napa carries Amsoil products at the regular price. I showed them my PC card to buy a few quarts and they said it was no good at their store. I have 2 locatons to pick up from their warehouses, Richmond, VA and Orlando, FL.

none of our parts stores are really moving oil, the prices are way too high compared to Walmart. The amsoil at our napa rarely sells, too expensive.

Mobil's regular synthetic uses a group 3 hydrocracked base stock. A conventional base stock. I cannot believe anyone even buys mobil. And the xl line is a far better product then mobil 1s offering. And amsoils XL line is a true synthetic. You are actually getting what you are paying for. Do your homework.

Suggest you do the same. Last time I talked with Amsoil they told me the XL line was made with Group III base stocks.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

Suggest you do the same. Last time I talked with Amsoil they told me the XL line was made with Group III base stocks.

Truth.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Mobil's regular synthetic uses a group 3 hydrocracked base stock. A conventional base stock. I cannot believe anyone even buys mobil. And the xl line is a far better product then mobil 1s offering. And amsoils XL line is a true synthetic. You are actually getting what you are paying for. Do your homework.

Both XL and OE are bid appropriate and therefore group III. While there are other non grIV oils, it's clear that any bottle (most of them) that sais 100% Synthetic is of group IV. It would usually say that in the title as well.

As for mobil one street oils I think that with few exceptions (like 0W-40 EF, 5W-40 TD) they are on par with both OE and XL depending on what you pick.

Originally Posted By: troyb43
Three more XW-20's from Amsoil:

Amsoil Sig Series 5W-20 Code ALM

Amsoil XL Series 0W-20 Code XLZ

Amsoil OE Series 0W-20 Code OEZ

I can't keep up with trials in the van, I haven't even run the OE 5W-20 in the van yet. I have done the 5W-20 Dominator and XL and the 0W-20 ASM.

Seven 20's from Amsoil. Pretty sweet.

ASM
ALM
XLZ
XLM
OEZ
OEM
RD-20

That 5W-20 ALM sure has some nice looking specs!

I just wish they went all out on the HTHS and forget about any approvals...smth like RL 5W-20.
I like the Noak though.

Originally Posted By: tudorart
Originally Posted By: troyb43
Three more XW-20's from Amsoil:

Amsoil Sig Series 5W-20 Code ALM

Amsoil XL Series 0W-20 Code XLZ

Amsoil OE Series 0W-20 Code OEZ

I can't keep up with trials in the van, I haven't even run the OE 5W-20 in the van yet. I have done the 5W-20 Dominator and XL and the 0W-20 ASM.

Seven 20's from Amsoil. Pretty sweet.

ASM
ALM
XLZ
XLM
OEZ
OEM
RD-20

That 5W-20 ALM sure has some nice looking specs!

I just wish they went all out on the HTHS and forget about any approvals...smth like RL 5W-20.
I like the Noak though.

Lower the ht/hs the better the fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Seven 20wt oils and not one light high VI oil amongst them!
Not one oil to compete with the Japanese OEM 0W-20's and not one HTHS vis 2.6cP 20wt oil for all other OEM applications.

You're going to need to convince me what is so very wrong with a 0W-20 HTHS vis 2.7 cP oil that doesn't have an artificially high VI. Besides VI of 166 is not exactly low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back