Reason to NOT use 5w-30 over 10w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently started running 5W-30 in my parent's '96 LeSabre(3800 II with 290K miles)and it should be fine for 5-6K mile OCI on the usual Havoline. Lots of higway miles involved.

on my 2001 gm 3800, it ALWAYS idles for 30-60 seconds before the first take off of the day. on 10w30, i get a faint knocking noise for the first minute or 2 of driving, no matter which oil, no matter what season. that noise doesnt exist when using any 5w30

needless to say, i run nothing but 5w30

Last edited:
Use this for your winter fill.
I really know very little about this engine, other than its being a highly developed iteration of an ancient design, but I'm guessing GM had a reason for recommending 10W-30 for it in an era when it had been recommending 5W-30 for most applications for at least the previous decade.
I don't doubt that it will do fine on the 5W-30, but why not use that oil for cold weather where there might really be some benefit?

Since I live in the deep south, I really don't have a need for a 5W or 0W lubricant, especially since I only use true synthetics. With that being said, I prefer the superior shear resistance and lower NOACK Volatility I get from 10W-30.

Amsoil 10W-30 is actually very close to the same viscosity @ 32*F as Mobil 1 5W-30 (non-EP). The base stock used in a formulation makes a difference, and Mobil 1 5W-30 (non-EP) does contain a percentage of group III. Amsoil 10W-30 ATM contains no group III base stocks.

M1vsAmsoil.jpg

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I think 10w30 is the forgotten oil, it is still a viable option in warmer climates. That being said I have been using 0w30 5w30 and 10w30 with no problems.

Down here in texas that's all you see is 10w30. Atleast from what i've noticed. I think walmart sells 5w30 but places like autozone don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I think 10w30 is the forgotten oil, it is still a viable option in warmer climates. That being said I have been using 0w30 5w30 and 10w30 with no problems.

Down here in texas that's all you see is 10w30. Atleast from what i've noticed. I think walmart sells 5w30 but places like autozone don't.

I live in Texas, don't see any more 10w30 than 5w30 or 5w20, lot of 5w20 spec'd F150s out there.

If you are talking about running conventional 5w30 or 10w30 said:
This may have been true at some point but with SN and the mostly group II/III base oils, my understanding is that it is no longer.

A lot of times I've seen better specs on 5w30. To each their own, but IMO you will not have to worry about sludge with 5w30, especially in a 3800.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back