5w20 mistakenly put in a 5w30 vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive an 4.0L V6 '08 Explorer, which Ford recommends synth blend 5w30 for. I had to let a "professional" change the oil today: for some reason he put in 5w20, which Ford recommends for the 4.6L V8 Explorer. (I didn't catch this until I'd already driven a few miles and the place was now closed for the day.) And the 5w20 was ordinary, no synth whatsoever.

Is this the end of my vehicle as I know it? Should I drop everything and get the shop to do it right ASAP? I live in an extremely hot and dry climate (southern Utah), if that helps. Thanks very much for your time.

Since your Explorer is an '08 therefore you still have warranty then you should change back to 5W30. Your engine is fine with 5W20 if you didn't redline since the oil change.

I'm having Valvoline Synpower 5W20 in my E430, the spec oil is M1 0W40, without problem. I had been using xW20 in it for about 3+ years, the engine seems to like thinner oil better.

It's fine. Most ordinary 5W30's will shear down close to a 20W after the first 1000 miles anyway--and any 5W20 will be more shear resistant, by definition. You have nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted By: JOD
It's fine. Most ordinary 5W30's will shear down close to a 20W after the first 1000 miles anyway--and any 5W20 will be more shear resistant, by definition. You have nothing to worry about.
+1 Couldnt have said it better. If I were in your situation I would just run it for its duration. No harm will come to your engine and you may like it better. Im shocked that your ford doesnt require 5w20 anyway since most of their engines have for the last 10 years. You can avoid these situations if you do your own changes. You cant be hardcore about oil if your not a Do It Yourselfer.

The man is in Nevada(or is it south Utah?) during the summer with a vehicle possibly under warranty.

Pay someone more competent and get 5w-30 in there. This isn't about possibilities or probabilities, it's about not over-thinking this and actually putting it into perspective for the OP to make a decision moving forward.

I would not use 5w-20 during a summer like this in his vehicle, while under warranty as a primary determining factor. When in doubt? Eat the $20-$30 and get it done right.

Bottom line: This isn't whether or not his engine can/can not use 20 multi-grade oil.

Last edited:
its been discussed here a few times with quotes from Ford that they could not modify the oil pumps in the 4.0 engines , so for that reason they have always spec'd 30 weght in that engine.

No harm done i am sure, but get it changed asap. If the pump is spec'd for 30 weight I would bet your running some pretty low oil pressure in this heat.

The 4.0L is designed for 5w30 not 5w20, and was not back spec'd along with other engines when Ford went to 5w20.

Being new oil I doubt it will cause any immediate issues, but I would go back at your earliest convenience, dump the oil and get the 5w30.

With fresh new 5w20 in there you have nothing to worry about in the short term. At the end of a 5w30's life it is nearly as thin as a 5w20 anyway. I'd be back there the next day watching them put in the correct oil however so you can protect your warranty and be sure to have in the correct oil for the duration of the oil change interval.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
The 4.0L is designed for 5w30 not 5w20, and was not back spec'd along with other engines when Ford went to 5w20.

Being new oil I doubt it will cause any immediate issues, but I would go back at your earliest convenience, dump the oil and get the 5w30.

Agreed.

I know people hate this answer, but I can't stand the thought of wasting oil that is in the pan - add a bottle of STP, and that will thicken the oil up.

For one interval, it won't hurt anything.

If it is bothering you that much buy a litre of 5w50 preferably from the same brand and a new filter.

To drain some of the oil change the oil filter and top with 5w50.

This should help thicken up at the top end.

To do a full oil at this stage is premature unless you doing extreme driving conditions.

Alternatively do shorter trips under light load that should reduced any chances of the oil thinning out too much.

Take it back and have them put in the correct oil. No damage done from just a few hours running time on 5w20, but they're supposedly professionals and you paid them to put in the right oil.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Take it back and have them put in the correct oil. No damage done from just a few hours running time on 5w20, but they're supposedly professionals and you paid them to put in the right oil.

+1

100% their mistake.... their remedy. It's in B&W what that engine requires and they should make it right. How they handle this will be a future marker for you. If they say, "Sorry, sir!" dump the oil and replace it without complaint, you know you have a good shop. If they winge, whine and resist, be adamant, get the correct oil installed and drive away forever.

Human error happens. It's how those errors are handled after that shows true character. Or lack thereof.

Bring it back and have them do the job over with the correct oil. I'm sure the 20 grade oil will be fine, but why should you have to live with their mistake. People pay professionals to do the right job and use the right parts and fluids, PERIOD. If you hired a painter to paint your house white, and he painted it blue would you live with it? After all oil is oil and paint is paint, NOT! JMO

Wow...I was hoping I'd get lucky and maybe one person would respond. Thanks to everyone for your recommendations. (And yaris0128: just for the record, of course I always change my own. I just happened to be 400 miles from home this time.) I've got 5w30 in there now. Again, thanks to everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back