Tire-buyer.com experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone ever bought tires from TireBuyer.com? Their 'free shipping' and no sales tax tempt me (I get charged a sales tax by Tire Rack).

I looked into them the last time I bought car tires-you only got free shipping if you had the tires sent to one of "their" installers, who would turn around and give you the business on the install-like around $35 for a basic mount/balance/valve stem! Plus they were independents that I had never heard of, I ended up getting them from tireseasy.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I looked into them the last time I bought car tires-you only got free shipping if you had the tires sent to one of "their" installers, who would turn around and give you the business on the install-like around $35 for a basic mount/balance/valve stem! Plus they were independents that I had never heard of, I ended up getting them from tireseasy.

$35/tire for install is a normal price for a higher-end tire dealer in my area.

I have been sticking with The Tire Rack(TR) and Discount Tire Direct(DTD). And although I have introduced many satisfied friends/family to Treadepot.com, I haven't used them myself as each time I wanted a particular tire for my vehicle(Treadepot being the best price), the tires were on back order. So, these are the 3 places I use/buy from or for at least use as my points of reference.

I have searched many other online tire stores as well but, due to my great satisfaction with TR & DTD, I don't think that some of these other places have the turnover/freshest tires that I'm looking for nor the out the door(OTD) price. After checking about 5 different online tire stores, I still end up buying at TR or DTD.

I have used as reference(but have not purchaced from), TireEasy.com and TireTeam.com but, I still end up at TR or DTD, and sort of/kind of...through others, Treadepot due to the best OTD price(shipped to my address/zip code). I will one day, purchace from Treadepot as I am still recomending them to others and those folks are very happy with their purchaces, availability, customer service and price.

After a while, you just stick with what is working for you!

They are the online retail seller retail for American Tire Distributors, who sells (wholesale) and distributes tire to independent tire sellers.

As said, only free shipping if delivered to a local installer.

IME, in my area not going to beat DT, and wouldn't be lowest even for a price match. TR, DTD ( both no tax here) and Treadepot (but they have tax in NC) are who I look at for a DT price match.

T-b doesn't seem like anything special to me.

I am still finding local independent retailers who sell tires at same overall price as mail order shupped. Call around and compare.

For me why bother with the hassle of mail order? Especially when a problem happens and the installer could absolutely care less about resolving an issue.

We use ATD as one of our vendors for buying tires from the shop. Last time I bought tires I bought direct from TCI, got my 4 PS2's for under a grand which was awesome and they delivered them to my work for me.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I am still finding local independent retailers who sell tires at same overall price as mail order shupped. Call around and compare.

For me why bother with the hassle of mail order? Especially when a problem happens and the installer could absolutely care less about resolving an issue.

You are very fortunate! I would love to buy localy again but, I haven't been able to do this in years since I have discovered the online tire stores. There isn't any tire store in my area that will match the online tire stores. Nor can they come close to the installed price without selling you inferior private label tires(Mastercraft, Cordovin, Douglas, Primewell, WeatherHandlers, Futrua/Difinity, and you get the picture).

And, in the past, I have purchaced these private label tires just to stay in my price range and hated every tire I bought after about 10,000 miles. They're all good tires when their new but...

I can find cheap tire localy but, I can get higher rated name brand tires online as compared to inferior tires localy. I have been buying tires online that are in the top 3-5 "best in catigory tires"(that meets my criteria) as compared to tires sold at PepBoys B3G1 FREE or private label tires as I have already mentioned. And I'm happier with my purchaces.

I have now been buying better tires that do better in inclemate weather, last longer(at least toward the MFG mileage rating), tires that balance better and keep the balance longer, tires that track better on the hiwy, don't shimmy/viberate, don't experience "radial pull" etc. All for at or less than the private label tire that I was getting localy. And sure, you can always get a bad tire in any brand but, my succuss rate is greater since I have been buying tires online.

And when I compare the local OTD price on tires that I can get online, I'm still saving (after installation), about $120-$150 for 4 tires.

I think I may have saved even more than that last 3 sets of "E" load radials i bought for fleet trucks!

No one else even got close, and I did check around. The one Tire Kingdom guy I called said that the price was seriously below his cost for that tire!

My last 3 sets of 4 tires each have been from DTD, they beat the overall price of TR delivered. TR gives real good customer service, DTD gives great customer service. No local shops could come any where close to the total price I paid. The local shops still charged for mounting & balancing of the higher priced tires they sell. From DTD I got the rebates, free shipping & NO sales tax resulting in a lower cost.

Whimsey

I've bought a lot of tires from Tire Rack over the years (last set of Bridgestones a couple of months ago for the Honda). I have noticed a distinct decline in the friendliness of their customer service reps. On my last order (and the one before that) I tried to get some input regarding my choice from the rep. They all but refused to discuss tires and seemed only interested in getting the order and getting off the phone...seemed more than a little rude in both cases (enough that I almost backed out of the Bridgestone order but the closeout price was too good to pass up). This is NOT the Tire
Rack I remember when the reps. would make recommendations and were willing to give you a little time. It's all in the way you handle your customers people...and why DT is so successful.

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
I've bought a lot of tires from Tire Rack over the years (last set of Bridgestones a couple of months ago for the Honda). I have noticed a distinct decline in the friendliness of their customer service reps. On my last order (and the one before that) I tried to get some input regarding my choice from the rep. They all but refused to discuss tires and seemed only interested in getting the order and getting off the phone...seemed more than a little rude in both cases (enough that I almost backed out of the Bridgestone order but the closeout price was too good to pass up). This is NOT the Tire
Rack I remember when the reps. would make recommendations and were willing to give you a little time. It's all in the way you handle your customers people...and why DT is so successful.

You're not the first person to say that about TR in the last six months or so. Kinda suprised, the the rumor is that they are starting to lose money, some due to the ecomony, and the fact that I've never seen a company [censored] so much money away in sponsorship and ads...

Then it's time to start writing letters/emails to TR and complain about the customer service. Also, we must start taking names and numbers. It could just be the personality of certain reps. You can get this type of service anywhere.

The only rep that I ever spoke with at TR was a decent fella and he mentioned that they don't price match(which was why I called). Other than that, I haven't spoken with any of their reps.

I have spoken to several reps at DTD and this was always a good experience as I have done 70% of my online tire/wheel/brake purchaces at DTD. And I must admit that I do like both TR & DTD

Different strokes. Makes no sense,to me,to buy tires by mail. Get them at a local dealer with free rotations and a warranty proration when they wear out early.

I do have to say my only gripe is they take a long time for delivery. Their truck that leave Moorpark, CA at 8AM does not get to use until noon, and their truck that leaves at 11AM does not get to us until 3-330PM. One of their competitors has one run a day that leave at 8AM and gets to us around 930-10AM, and they come from Valencia, CA. Other than that the service is awesome.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Different strokes. Makes no sense,to me,to buy tires by mail. Get them at a local dealer with free rotations and a warranty proration when they wear out early.

Your are correct indeed...For yourself!

Several of us in my circle(buddys, BIL's, nephews etc.) actually enjoy
smile.gif
searching for the best tires for ourselves/family and their driving style, vehicle and weather conditions that we experience.

We love
smile.gif
the savings($120-$150 for 4 tires) and the fact that we're getting better tires for the same or less money than we can only get on lesser quality tires localy. I have mentioned this prior to now.

We can still get all of the things that others have mentioned as-far-as lifetime balance/rotation/prorating etc. It just has to come out of the money we saved, lessening the total savings but, the saving is still there. We'd still have saved, oh, let's say...$70-$100. To many, that's alot of money still!

A person has to weigh wheather or not they'll need many of the services offered when buying localy. I for one, have never been able to take advantage of a pro-rating, have never destroyed a tire causing me to use the RHW, seldom in 40 years of driving do I ever get a flat, causing me to use the "FREE" flat repair service.

Oh sure, I have experienced flat tires(nails) and sidewall damage causing me to replace a tire prematurely but, it was always on a tire that came on a used car that I bought privately or nearing the end of the tires life anyway or even on a car that I bought new(OE tires) but, the tire warranty for those things had expired anyway.

Ya know, many of the serveice such as pro-rating(a joke IMHO, where I live) and RHW have expireation times/years/miles. These things don't last forever or for as long as some people can own their tires, the time eventually runs out. And then if you try to take advantage of for example, the pro-rating, it always seems to be a fight with the tire store manager/sales rep. NO MORE FOR ME, I'M NOT DEALING WITH THESE GUYS ANY LONGER! Others have better experiences than I.

With all of the money I/we have saved over the years by not paying for all of these extra services, if I have to eat one tire in my life(pay out of pocket), so be it! It has not happened yet as I usually just get 4 new tires when I need'em.

I'll do my own tire rotations(thank you) when it's convienent for me(when doing brakes or checking out a noise or "whatever") because this is what I/we do(hobby amongst many other things). We work on our own vehicles.

A friend out of our circle had just bought some Cooper CS4's (225-55-17)and at his best local price, he paid almost $700 OTD.

I showed him some of the online stores that I deal with along with the local installer that I use and he could have saved $200.
Hey, 200 bucks is 200 bucks! Well, it was actually closer to $180.00,(not today but, when we spoke a couple of months ago).

He fell on the floor! Sure he had some questions about reliability/customer service of the online tire stores and tire freshness. And when I(and others' around the table) told him of our several years of experience and the experience of others whom he knows, he finaly got up off the floor. I don't think that he'll be buying localy again. Not for himself, wife and 3 daughters/Son-in-laws.

He loves the CS4's and beleives they're worth the money in the last down pour that he drove through but, realizes that he paid a little too much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back