Air filter insanity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
It's been a long time since I've bought a Motorcraft air filter for my own vehicle, but I'm pretty sure that last time I bought a Motorcraft air filter it was around $20 for a 2005 Freestyle.

The Motorcraft air filter for the Freestyle is really nice for a paper filter too, it comes in a sealed plastic wrapper with a light oil coating already applied to the outer gasket.

Rockauto.com has them for $11.99. I just ordered 2 for my Freestyle just to have the spare on hand.

Originally Posted By: 2Fast4U
Why are you people buying this kind of stuff from a dealership? Air filter has got to be the easiest thing to change and you can buy it probably at walmart or any auto store.

The Honda S2000 OEM air filter is much higher quality compares with aftermarket air filter, I rather pay $15 more($30 vs $15) for a high quality part that I use for 30-35k miles than an inferior part that may fall apart after 20-25k miles. Cabin filter is another story.

On the other hand, I buy quality oil, air, cabin filters Mann, Hengst, Mahle, Bosch ... online for my E430 for a lot less than what my dealer charges for those.

Sometimes you just have to dole out the money for a quality part(s) that only dealer has it, or you buy from an online dealer and pay shipping cost if you don't buy enough to qualify for free shipping.

Originally Posted By: 2Fast4U
Why are you people buying this kind of stuff from a dealership? Air filter has got to be the easiest thing to change and you can buy it probably at walmart or any auto store.

What does buying a filter at the dealer or not have to do with the difficulty of changing it?

OEM air filters are often better quality and better constructed than many aftermarket brands.

The Ford dealer is often cheaper for most things than the auto parts store. This was an instance where that clearly was not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back