Best shot size to kill snakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I was shooting at a large water snake in our lake. It was large enough that I thought it might be a cotton mouth but it turned out to not be poisionus. I shot several times at it with a 20 ga. "Snake Tammer" that had #3 buck in it. It was from about 25 yards away at first and then 15 feet. Seemed like I missed it so I kolled it with a paddle. I might have hit it with one pellet but I am not sure.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot22.htm

This makes me thing that the #3 buck is plenty powerful but I just could have used more pellets or be a better shot.

Anyone have good results with birdshot and snakes?

I just use "snake shot" out of a .38 Special. I think it's number 12 size.
It's a close range proposition though, maybe 6-8 feet, so I'd be very careful if the snake is dangerous.

20 ga. bird shot shells maybe? That's really fine stuff and it should do the job if you're somewhat close.

The #3 buck was too big. I'd go for 8-10 shot. That will put many more holes in the critter. The white box winchester that sells for $5/box at Wal-Mart should be fine. I think it's #8 shot, low brass. Great for doves, too. Smaller shot would be even better, but it'll be too hard to find and not so much better that the extra effort (and probably price) would be warranted.

Last edited:
I tend to leave the snakes alone. They take care of the mice and rats. Now you will have to buy new shells and mouse traps!

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
The #3 buck was too big. I'd go for 8-10 shot. That will put many more holes in the critter. The white box winchester that sells for $5/box at Wal-Mart should be fine. I think it's #8 shot, low brass. Great for doves, too. Smaller shot would be even better, but it'll be too hard to find and not so much better that the extra effort (and probably price) would be warranted.

+1 on the #8. That is great for snakes unless you live in the Everglades, then you need .12ga slugs
39.gif

For any shotgun pressed into snake duty, I'd use nothing larger than #7 1/2 shot, & prefer #8 or #9. If you can find anything smaller, such as #10, #11, even #12, so much the better- but it's mighty scarce these days, & with dove season coming up you can find #8's or 9's anywhere shotshells are sold.

The name of the game is pattern density- and as you found out, #3 Buck just doesn't cut it for snakes!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back