My dad escaped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 86 yr old father now lives in a home that specializes in people with Alzheimers.

Today I got home from work and the first thing I noticed is that my gate is open. This isn't unusual because my girlfriend comes over and sometimes she beats me home.

I get into the driveway and I don't see her truck.

Front door is unlocked. I know that I locked the door this morning.

Dog is inside. I leave him outside when I leave for work in the morning.

TV is on. I never watch TV and wasn't watching it this morning.

My dad is sitting in his green chair watching the news!
lol.gif

Somehow he escaped the home and made it 13 miles back home!

The home didn't know that he was missing untill I called them.

They came and got him and they were very sorry for letting him out. This isn't acceptable at all. I'm not paying over $3k a month for them to not watch him.

I don't know what to do now. I realize that watching a bunch of senile people is a hard job but we can't have my dad wandering around the desert, crossing highways etc on a 100* day.

Theres really no other home around that will take him with his Alzheimers.

I'm sure that somebody will get chewed out tomorrow for this and we don't know how he escaped. They have a door thats locked and you must push a code to go in or out.

I think he jumped the fence on the back 40 of their courtyard.

Part of me wants to start trouble and the other part of me knows how hard that job must be.

At average walking speed for someone older, that's nearly 5 hours of walking! You sure he walked there? Maybe he and a bunch of buddies broke out and were tying to get to Mexico.
lol.gif

I am glad he is OK man! I would be having a hard time figuring my next move too. Is he paying for his own care? Either way that is just unacceptable. You have to give him some credit for finding his way home, he has probably been planning that escape for a while...lol

Good luck in your next move.

For $3k a month would it be better to get a live in or two part time medical aides?

Sounds like your dad rather be home.

My moms a RN who's worked in hospice, ER and geriatrics. Now she does Diabetic education, but when grandpa came down with Alsheimers she had a couple helper women come in. They'd do light cleaning and laundry, take him for walks, start dinner (my dad and I secretly liked her cooking), etc. Mom being a nurse really helped us in interviewing helpers and being able to supervise their work. Sadly in nursing homes, even the expensive ones, good care is difficult to ensure.

Not trying to guilt trip you OP, but having grandpa close where we could watch him was time well spent.

Glad to hear your dad is okay!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: santov
For $3k a month would it be better to get a live in or two part time medical aides?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Quote:
The home didn't know that he was missing untill I called them.

Not good. Very glad your dad is ok, but as you have alluded to, it's a very serious issue for this home. They are very fortunate indeed that your dad was found, not seriously hurt, or worse.

If there was another home for Alzheimers care I'd be looking. Very difficult situation for you.

Have some experience with this as my mom suffered from dementia and was in a home her last few years.

In my wife's experience relative to her Mother's care here in S. Texas, you can't touch live-in care (through an agency) for less than $5K, and that is for someone without Alzheimers, which you pay a premium for. That home is a great deal at $3K.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

That's exactly what I was thinking.

At that time, he did want to be at home. But if he is home, there is no guarantee that he might not leave to go somewhere else.

Alzheimer's is quite a scary condition. It changes people in ways that we can't imagine unless we have seen someone suffering from it.

Alzheimers units are usually "lock down", i.e., in and out via staff and locked door. If he escaped I think it is very serious. Is there a state agency you could call in to investigate?

John

Originally Posted By: John_K
Is there a state agency you could call in to investigate?

John

That's where I'd start. I'd also have a talk with the staff at this place.

IMO, this is a VERY serious case of negligence. The liability involved with what happened had your Dad been hit by a car or something else is astounding.

Actually, I'd maybe even call the police department; most larger departments have units that specialize in dealing with the elderly.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Part of me wants to start trouble and the other part of me knows how hard that job must be.

With the caveat that I've never been in your shoes, here's what I think I would do: make it very clear to them that my continued business is contingent on receiving some sort of compensation for the error and a detailed account of what they will be doing to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Yes, it is a tough job. A very tough job. At the same time, they did agree to take it on, so it's on them until they decide they can't handle it. Keep in mind that you're not asking them to go above and beyond the call of duty; you're just asking them to hold up their end of the deal.

Things like this happen.

If you pursue this, they may start 'calming down' your father with medications in order to make sure that he does not escape again or ask you to find somewhere else.

The state boards do not do anything - they are understaffed and the bosses have close relationships with those facilities.

The police will not do anything because there is nothing for them to do.

It's a tough situation and I cannot offer any better advice than what has been suggested above.

He walked 13 miles? In this heat? DDDAAAAAAAANNNNNGGGGGG!!!! He's in better shape than most people I know!!!

There should be alarms on the doors so there is no possibility of him leaving without someone knowing. Especially in an ALZHEIMER'S unit!!

That facility is in need of some upgrades.

$3k per month doesn't even buy an assisted living facility around here (and this is a low cost area). Typical care for an Alzheimer's patient would be over $5k in a group setting. It sounds like they are trying to do too much with too little.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back